E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my name is Geirsen and I'm a new BMW owner and I'm also new to the forums here. About a month ago I purchased a 05 325i for my first car, (yes, I got SOME help from my parents, but for the most part it was paid for by me from working for the past two summers). Anyways, is there any must-haves for a new e46 owner? Or anything that I should know for care of my vehicle?

Thanks, Geirsen.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If you really want this ride to last get yourself a maintenance manual (bentley) Search thoroughly before you start a new thread. I mean this. Us fanatics already know your answer when you ask, because we've probably been there and someone had most likely gone through the trouble of explaining it for the benefits of all of us. Since you seem young and your a young blood the best advice i could give you is give it some time before you purchase some mods, i know im addicted to, but nothing comes before maintenance. It helps being knowledgable about motor vehicles, but most issues you will find are DIY. Your car is young so you have plenty of time. Take care of it and it will take care of you. Post some pics. I'm sure I'm not the only one interested. What made you wanna purchase a BMW anyway?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Definitely get the Bentley manual. Service your car on time. Besides that this website will give you alot of tips, tricks and diy knowledge. Enjoy your new ride !:thumbsup:

·
Registered
29,664 Posts
Hi OP. Congrats and welcome. I'm not a snake as some may make me sound to be... I do strike but it's usually without venom. If I had venom, it would be Genuine BMW venom. Probably blue. Anyway, what's the age, condition, mileage and repair history (if any) of your car?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. As for additional information, it has 85xxx miles on it, and is in near perfect condition. It had two previous owners and has been serviced on time through its life. I also just searched the vin number and it appears the model I own is a SULEV, and I know that means it has low emissions, but are there any drawbacks to it? Also, I've noticed that there is a light on my dash saying that one of my brake lights are out, which it isn't. I called my local BMW service center and they said its most likely a ground wire and they would take a look, they also said it should be under warranty. If it isn't, what else could it be? And would it be a possible DIY fix?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you really want this ride to last get yourself a maintenance manual (bentley) Search thoroughly before you start a new thread. I mean this. Us fanatics already know your answer when you ask, because we've probably been there and someone had most likely gone through the trouble of explaining it for the benefits of all of us. Since you seem young and your a young blood the best advice i could give you is give it some time before you purchase some mods, i know im addicted to, but nothing comes before maintenance. It helps being knowledgable about motor vehicles, but most issues you will find are DIY. Your car is young so you have plenty of time. Take care of it and it will take care of you. Post some pics. I'm sure I'm not the only one interested. What made you wanna purchase a BMW anyway?
When I was searching for cars, I narrowed it down between an Audi A4 and a BMW 3 series. After test driving both of them I just fell in love with the BMW, it was just a lot more solid and so much more fun to drive. As for mods and such, I'm not planning on souping this thing up, probably the only thing I'm looking for at the moment is some halos or angel eyes.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
You definitely NEED to read about the SULEV fuel pump failures, and find some way to get yours replaced while it is still under warranty, which I believe it is. It is unbelievably expensive, sometimes even more than the car is worth. It is ironic that cars that are supposed to be enviromntally sensitive are ending up in junkyards before cars that produce worse emissions. Sorry to say this, but it would have been good for you to read up on this before buying a SULEV vehicle.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
You definitely NEED to read about the SULEV fuel pump failures, and find some way to get yours replaced while it is still under warranty, which I believe it is. It is unbelievably expensive, sometimes even more than the car is worth. It is ironic that cars that are supposed to be enviromntally sensitive are ending up in junkyards before cars that produce worse emissions. Sorry to say this, but it would have been good for you to read up on this before buying a SULEV vehicle.
The only way to have it replaced under warranty is if it does fail, iirc. I think the warranty on it is 10 years, 150,000 miles, so he is in the clear for that for awhile.

The only thing he may have a problem with when it fails is the fact that the SULEV cars were only manufactered for and sold in certain states, so a dealer outside of the states stated in the extended warranty may not want to honor the replacement.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
The only way to have it replaced under warranty is if it does fail, iirc. I think the warranty on it is 10 years, 150,000 miles, so he is in the clear for that for awhile.

The only thing he may have a problem with when it fails is the fact that the SULEV cars were only manufactered for and sold in certain states, so a dealer outside of the states stated in the extended warranty may not want to honor the replacement.
You are right about the warranty period. So, the OP should be hoping that it manages to malfunction before that 150k mark. If it were me, I would find a way to make sure it happened at about 140k. ;) I was thinking it was 100k, but I was wrong.

@OP - you may want to print a copy of this .pdf, and keep it in your car in case you have to deal with the dealership on warranty issues with your car. Some dealerships either are unaware of the differences with SULEV vehicles, or they play dumb, just to see if you know what should be covered. This document has a rundown of the various systems that are different on your car:
http://www.ge39.com/files/M56sulev.pdf

BTW - I saw threads where people mentioned the fuel pump/gas tank assembly being as much as $6000. The fuel filter is included inside of the $6000 tank, and is not serviceable any other way. So that warranty is your new best friend.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Oh he will. It's just a matter of time.

And thanks! What camera you getting?
I'm not sure don't know to much about them, my good friend is into it and we were going to discuss it this weekend. I really couldn't believe that its not all about megapixels really. What camera do i want? the one with the most megapixels? :hmm:
Great price on a car. way to go. Now make sure it runs top notch. I thought my BMW was the shiz. Until i began routine maintenance. and it's worth every penny and moment.

·
Registered
250 Posts
When I was searching for cars, I narrowed it down between an Audi A4 and a BMW 3 series. After test driving both of them I just fell in love with the BMW, it was just a lot more solid and so much more fun to drive. As for mods and such, I'm not planning on souping this thing up, probably the only thing I'm looking for at the moment is some halos or angel eyes.
As for mods that are reasonable such as the AE. utilize this site for info. You will be able to narrow it down to get best bang for buck, or legit best bang no matter the buck. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.