BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there everybody! I just got a 2002 BMW 325Ci and want to make sure that I keep this BMW in amazing shape for a long time. It is a convertible and has 63000 miles on it. I am totally new to BMWs and don't know much about cars in general either, but feel like I should learn everything there is to taking care of my BMW! I was wondering if anyone can give me some info or tips on how to take care of my BMW properly on my own or any guides or things that I can read to learn about how to properly maintain and keep up a BMW in pristine condition so I can have it last me for a long time. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Use good Gas, Synthetic Oil every 2500 Miles read your Owners Manual.

Buy Metric Socket set, plus other tools, GET A BENTLEY REPAIR SERVICE MANUAL!.

I do all my work myself!!!

Drive Responsible!

*****VADER*****
*BLESSED & H8'D!*

·
Registered
176 Posts
Your query is so general it's hard to be answered in one post.

Stick around, read, search, and you will start to acumulate an idea on how and what must be done to keep your newly purchased car in best shape.

Again, exhaust that "search" feature ...

Now, we could bet money on what will go first on your car! :lmao:

I say your thermostat before you hit 70K miles. You gonna coast to 100K miles virtually trouble free ... except for a FSR and a blower issue.

And, depending on your car! lol Your windows regulators might start acting up.

I'm sure some user will drop a nice written post for ya :)

Congrats on your new car

·
Registered
395 Posts
A bentley service manual? what the heck is that for? I have an 01 325ci and i am curious as to why i wouldn't get a 2001 BMW e46 service manual.

Also, I heard that because of how [email protected] BMWs were engineered they only need an oil change every 5-7K miles. If that is inaccurate i sure would like to know.

Use good Gas, Synthetic Oil every 2500 Miles read your Owners Manual.

Buy Metric Socket set, plus other tools, GET A BENTLEY REPAIR SERVICE MANUAL!.

I do all my work myself!!!

Drive Responsible!

*****VADER*****
*BLESSED & H8'D!*

·
:D
7,725 Posts
2500 miles for an oil change is just way too often in my opinion. that's serious overkill. maybe if you drive in the desert at redline everyday for 15 hours straight.
7-10k miles is the safest option and even some would still consider that overkill. bmw recommends 15k mile intervals for oil changes but most fanatics do it more often.

a bentley manual is just a brand name that makes car service manuals for different types of cars. it has nothing to do with Bentley the auto brand.
personally i have the haynes manual. they are both comparable. i believe the haynes manual is much less expensive, but it's also less thorough. these service manuals basically walk you through how to do anything you'd ever need to do on your car. they're based on a complete tear down and rebuild of your particular car.

OP, learn about inspection I and inspection II and how to complete these yourself. they walk you through doing them in your service manual if you decide to purchase. these are services you do on your car at a specific milage, much like an oil change. these inspections address other parts of the car that need attention such as filters and other fluids.

something else that will help you is just browse the forums daily, or often. whenever you see a "HELP my car did this and it's exploding" thread open it up. read problem threads and follow them until they're solved. every problem you'll ever have with your car has been discussed on this forum at one point or another so reading problem threads will help prepare you if those problems ever happen to you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts