E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found out that my drivers side lower control arm needs to be replaced because of the ball joint. Dealer told me that it was my springs rotating and moving:confused:. I told him no way and took it to another shop where they said it was the worst case they had ever seen happen to a ball joint:eek: :banghead:. Its basically metal rubbing against metal right now and i can't drive it for fear of losing control of my car.

My warranty is up and I'm going to have a local shop do it for $406 with parts, labor and alignment included. This is very odd cause they're not (balljoints) suppose to go out until around 100,000 miles:banghead: :cry:

Does this seem like a fair price?

·
Registered
670 Posts
wait....isn't the BMW warranty covering the car for at least 50k miles or 3 yrs, whichever comes first?

you're only at 20k miles, should your dealership fix it for free?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Like simon said you should be covered completely.

My control arms had to be replaced last week at my 30000 inspection but it was replaced under warranty. They will not do the alignment without charging you though.

·
Slow in, slower out
4,410 Posts
Short ball joint life is apparently normal for E46s. My 2001 has horribly noisy drivers side outer ball joint with about 15k miles on the current set of control arms. The first control arms were bad at 20k miles but didn't get replaced until I switched dealers at 30k miles.

Ed

·
can ya spare some change?
738 Posts
2000 E46's have 3/36K mile free maintenance and 4yr/50K mile bumper to bumper warranty

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Double Vanos said:
Will these joints go out faster if you drive the car harder?
apparently, because BMW had suspension design problems with the earlier e46's the control arms and bushings will probably wear out abnormaly fast. I asked the same question and the guy said that you would have to be torturing your car for it to go out that fast

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lowering = more grip = stress, wheels 18,19" = more punishment = stress, not having the car not properly aligned= more pressure on joints,arms,shocks,strut tops= stress. Then add potholes and whatever else is on these roads normal wear patterns Must BE Affected.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts