BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know when the M3 V8 will be released?

Some guy at the audio shop told me that the 2003 M3 all have V8 engines in them. I checked a 2003 M3 at the dealer and saw the same old I6 engine in them. What's the deal?? Anyone got any words? Is it the later builds in 2003 that will have the V8?? Does anyone know FOR SURE??
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
966 Posts
From what I have read in car magazines, the v8 M3 won't be released until one year after the replacement for the e46 is released. Sounds like the guy doesn't know what he is talking about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
431 Posts
traumamc said:
From what I have read in car magazines, the v8 M3 won't be released until one year after the replacement for the e46 is released. Sounds like the guy doesn't know what he is talking about.
Yeah. We've all heard these rumors of the V8, but nothing confirmed, and certainly not coming into production THIS year.:yikes:
 

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
Joined
·
4,301 Posts
audikiller said:
Yes, they go into production in June. Better put your order in quick, they are going fast.:tongue:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
 

·
Owner
Joined
·
4,044 Posts
RE:

BeamerDaddy2001 said:


Do you have a website link with information? I would like to read about this. What will be the new specs??
Yes. It will be a 5.0 liter V8 based on the M5 engine. It will be enhanced with the new Valvetronic technology producing 450bhp and 444ftlbs of torque. All this while still making 30mpg on the highway. Initial estimates have the new V8 M3 doing 0-60 in 4.0s and the 1/4 mile in 12.5s. Also look for new ceramic brakes on the new M3 a la Ferrari Enzo. It's supposed to stop this beast from 60mph in only 115 ft! I can't wait.













Oh shoot. I think I dreamt up this car. My bad guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: RE:

:lmao: :lmao: Let me guess, it will cost less than the current M3 :lmao: :lmao: Are you the same guy that told me about the M3 V8 in the audio shop today???????


Choson1 said:


Yes. It will be a 5.0 liter V8 based on the M5 engine. It will be enhanced with the new Valvetronic technology producing 450bhp and 444ftlbs of torque. All this while still making 30mpg on the highway. Initial estimates have the new V8 M3 doing 0-60 in 4.0s and the 1/4 mile in 12.5s. Also look for new ceramic brakes on the new M3 a la Ferrari Enzo. It's supposed to stop this beast from 60mph in only 115 ft! I can't wait.



Oh shoot. I think I dreamt up this car. My bad guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
The beauty of the M3 lies in the refinement BMW's inline 6 engine, vice versa for the V8 in the M5. I just bought an M3 not because it posts good numbers, but in my humble opinion it has THE BEST 6 cylinder engine in the world! If BMW ever puts a V8 into a 3 series, they are basically telling the world that they can no longer improve on their inline 6 technology. I hope this day never happens! Just my 2 cents.
 

·
Fanatics vs. E46 DTM 4evar
Joined
·
5,898 Posts
But the M3 GTR (V8)is one of the sickest cars ever built?
Ihave heard the CSL(I6) is coming out next June in Europe and the GTR is iffy at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
mcmchoi said:
The beauty of the M3 lies in the refinement BMW's inline 6 engine, vice versa for the V8 in the M5. I just bought an M3 not because it posts good numbers, but in my humble opinion it has THE BEST 6 cylinder engine in the world! If BMW ever puts a V8 into a 3 series, they are basically telling the world that they can no longer improve on their inline 6 technology. I hope this day never happens! Just my 2 cents.
This day came a long time ago. The e46 M3 GTR has been using a 4.0L V8 for quite some time in the ALMS races, and the M3 GTR street version used a detuned version of that same V8. Also, as a side note, the next M5 won't use a V8 , but rather a new V10.

Everything I have seen and read up to this point says that the NEXT M3 model will in fact use a small V8 capable of roughly 400 HP. This won't happen until the next complete overhaul of the 3-series line and an all-new M3. You've got time to place your order still though, as that probably won't be until 2007 or so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't know about the BEST 6 cylinder - i think that they are maxing out the M3 engine as is right now. Have you read about the number of blown/damaged/problems associated with the M3 engine??? I really don't think that they can improve on the current M3 engine so they will HAVE to step up to a V8 if they wanna hang with the competition. Hell, I am supporting them stepping up as I would like to own one of the V8 M3 :D

mcmchoi said:
............THE BEST 6 cylinder engine in the world! If BMW ever puts a V8 into a 3 series, they are basically telling the world that they can no longer improve on their inline 6 technology. I hope this day never happens! Just my 2 cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
playinJ30 said:
M3 GTR IS coming, and by 2004 as well
Doesn't sound reasonable - even though I would LOVE it if they do bring out the V8 in 2004 :D I think that it will be more like 2007. Technology changes every 5-10 years for autos, depending on the car. Generally, cheaper cars will change every five years and more expensive cars will change every 7 years and then the high end cars changes every 10 years. Only minor things such as lights and bumpers are changes from year to year to make the newer users feel proud about their distinct look :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Sighhhh.....but I guess you guys are right that there is only so far a 6 cylinder can go. With today's competition (i.e., new S4 V8....etc.) they will need to follow where the money takes them.

It's just that I have loved the inline sixes for soooooo long.....time to let go and find new love I guess.

Thanks for the info guys!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Honestly, I think that the new E46 bodystyle will be crappy. I hope they prove me wrong. There is not much more BMW can do to make the body look nice. The new E46 design may look more like the seven series or Z4. I see it to be more of a boxy or square look.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UltimateOne said:
Dont forget in the Automobile thread that was posted a couple days ago with a 2003 M3 vs 2003 S4 v8 - the M3 won
Oh yea, no boubt :thumbup: BMW are well engineered. You can even look at Mercedes and Jaguar - they are packing V12 and a BMW six or eight cylinder car can run right pass them. Corvette has a pretty strong V8 and the M3 six cylinder can hang neck-to-neck with them.

Our Bimmers all the way - accept no substitute :pimpin:
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top