BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am 16 and just bought my first car. Its an E36 and I am looking to completely rebuild it and modify it so any tips people may have or if you have any extra parts laying around that would also be very appreciated. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
498 Posts
This is an E46 forum so I'm not sure how useful it will be here. If you do a search on Google for 'E36 forums' a few come up. I can't link them here.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Define "completely rebuild". These days, if anyone is pouring money into an e36, it is to make a track car out of it. The few e36s that are still serving as daily drivers are kept alive with OEM replacement parts for things that wear our, and Pick-n-Pull parts for things that break. I recently hit a piece of truck tire and replaced all three plastic shields from beneath the front and both fog lights for $38 worth of parts from Pick-n-Pull. For another $20, I scored a spare HK amp. My driver seat leather looks like new because it used to be the passenger seat leather on a donor car (leather is interchangable on the standard seats). For the expensive wear-out parts (rear axles, driveshaft, heater valve), I have lowered my standards and bought Chinese parts. It is hard to justify spending several hundred dollars each for several parts that the Chinese will sell you for $75 each when the car is worth only $1500. Those parts probably won't last as long as european-made parts, but the car already has 330k miles on it. It still looks and runs great, but I cannot expect it to last all that much longer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts