This Z06 Corvette was pretty hammered for only being a couple years old and was being sold by a dealer I detail cars for from time to time. I was asked to ‘squeeze’ this car in because it was sold and getting delivered in a couple days.
When the car arrived at the shop, it looked half decent, but I could tell the car had recently been glazed or waxed and I was sure that it would look even worse once it was completely stripped. Sure enough, I was told that it was brought to the car wash for an express detail where they ‘glazed it’.
Time was crucial, as the car needed to be finished in less than 48 hours. I was told not to worry about the minor little details, just concentrate on getting the paint as perfect as possible since the new owner was very picky and said he would refuse the car if it had swirls in the paint.
I did a quick wash, then used Spray Nine cleaner on a damp microfiber towel to strip away any wax, sealant or glaze that was embedded in the paint. I rewashed the car, clayed the exterior using Sonus green clay, rinsed and dried. I didn’t bother cleaning the wheels, tires, wheel wells or engine bay since they weren’t too bad and time was a factor. Once dry, I used compressed air to remove any leftover water from all cracks and crevices, then wiped the exterior down with 91% alcohol to ensure a proper surface for polishing. All trim and other crucial areas were masked off.
Below is what the car looked like after prepping the car for polishing. As you can see, the car was absolutely hammered to say the least. From the looks of it, some of the panels had been previously wetsanded and poorly refinished, resulting in sanding scratches, holograms, wool pad marring, etc…The rest of the car had all kinds of damage as well, including deep scratches, pitting, stone chips, you name it…
The drivers side door had some very deep etching, which was really weird. I am guessing it was caused from some sort of chemical that has an adverse reaction with the paint. I tried compounding the door to remove it, but it was too deep and required wetsanding to fully remove it. Below is what the door looked like…