E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all =] My name is Smith and I'm new on this forum. So i needed a bit of help from bmw owners in general in figuring out if i can basically afford a 3 series.

So i just turned 21, and i want a BM.... i know it seems like I'm a bratty lil kid who just wants to blow some money to sport a nice car. hmmm i dnt know how much of that is true so i'll tell you my situation.

i've been driving since i was 16 like most people ... watched a lot of top gear and am car enthusiast in general. my parents bought a new 2003 accord v6 sedan and i always thought hmmm bms couldn't be much faster and i guess it was the fact that i had a honda... talking... in any case... a buddy of mine bought a 330ci 2001 from someone for about 6500 or so and i had a exam comming up and needed to go to starbucks my car wasn't home my buddy let me borrow his car... and instantly i feel in love with it... everything from the frame less windows to the heavy mechanical feel of everything.

I was in the market for buying a car for myself.. but i am a college student... i help my parents with the bills around the house sometimes the property tax and etc. so i know i can't get a NEW car like any other youngin' so i was looking into acura TSXs cuz they're some what classy.. u know... not the typical showy offf cars that ppl my age drive. but somethings convincing me to get a 3 series...

now i craiglisted my life away saw few 325ci n 328cis ... and they seem good but i think i have the "bigger **** syndrome" so i feel the need to get the 330ci.... same reason 2 years ago i bought my self a HONDA CBR1000RR rather than a 250 cc bike or a 600cc bike. ( i got a lot of crap for it.. but i m a level headed person so i havnt done anything stupid )

so ultimately the question is ... IS it possible for me to get a

BMW 330ci ( not the drop tops)
around 2004 - 2006ish @ about 140k miles MAX
for about 5500-7000
possibly with navigation
and the cool chairs with the thigh support .
OH and the headlight washers...

(yes i know its very childish of me to be very specific about these things ....but for me its not just going to be a car that gets me from point a to b... and I'm sure if you guys are 3serise fanatics you'll understand)

im not hooked on to the car for its reputation or its history i hooked on the experience when i drove it... i remember it was kinda of rainy.... clear road.. i came to an intersection... took a sharp right... it felt weird ... didn't feel like a front wheel drive at all.....almost felt like i was losing grip n control... but u give it a lil gas and trust that the backs going to come around and everything lines up. that 10 min drive convinced me that i need to get this thing... but I'm stuffed... with the lack of information... the thought of not being able to afford it... the insurance being way too high... nd not even being able to find the exact car with w.e i imagined...

if u guys have any advice..thoughts.. any hook ups... or anything at all.. id love to hear it....

jus like on the 1000rr.net forum theres going to b haters and **** talkers...so ill assume its similar here..... i just hope the amnt of people trying to help out-weights the amnt of **** talkers here.

---srry bout sp errors and bad grammar.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey all =] My name is Smith and I'm new on this forum. So i needed a bit of help from bmw owners in general in figuring out if i can basically afford a 3 series.

So i just turned 21, and i want a BM.... i know it seems like I'm a bratty lil kid who just wants to blow some money to sport a nice car. hmmm i dnt know how much of that is true so i'll tell you my situation.

i've been driving since i was 16 like most people ... watched a lot of top gear and am car enthusiast in general. my parents bought a new 2003 accord v6 sedan and i always thought hmmm bms couldn't be much faster and i guess it was the fact that i had a honda... talking... in any case... a buddy of mine bought a 330ci 2001 from someone for about 6500 or so and i had a exam comming up and needed to go to starbucks my car wasn't home my buddy let me borrow his car... and instantly i feel in love with it... everything from the frame less windows to the heavy mechanical feel of everything.

I was in the market for buying a car for myself.. but i am a college student... i help my parents with the bills around the house sometimes the property tax and etc. so i know i can't get a NEW car like any other youngin' so i was looking into acura TSXs cuz they're some what classy.. u know... not the typical showy offf cars that ppl my age drive. but somethings convincing me to get a 3 series...

now i craiglisted my life away saw few 325ci n 328cis ... and they seem good but i think i have the "bigger **** syndrome" so i feel the need to get the 330ci.... same reason 2 years ago i bought my self a HONDA CBR1000RR rather than a 250 cc bike or a 600cc bike. ( i got a lot of crap for it.. but i m a level headed person so i havnt done anything stupid )

so ultimately the question is ... IS it possible for me to get a

BMW 330ci ( not the drop tops)
around 2004 - 2006ish @ about 140k miles MAX
for about 5500-7000
possibly with navigation
and the cool chairs with the thigh support .
OH and the headlight washers...

(yes i know its very childish of me to be very specific about these things ....but for me its not just going to be a car that gets me from point a to b... and I'm sure if you guys are 3serise fanatics you'll understand)

im not hooked on to the car for its reputation or its history i hooked on the experience when i drove it... i remember it was kinda of rainy.... clear road.. i came to an intersection... took a sharp right... it felt weird ... didn't feel like a front wheel drive at all.....almost felt like i was losing grip n control... but u give it a lil gas and trust that the backs going to come around and everything lines up. that 10 min drive convinced me that i need to get this thing... but I'm stuffed... with the lack of information... the thought of not being able to afford it... the insurance being way too high... nd not even being able to find the exact car with w.e i imagined...

if u guys have any advice..thoughts.. any hook ups... or anything at all.. id love to hear it....

jus like on the 1000rr.net forum theres going to b haters and **** talkers...so ill assume its similar here..... i just hope the amnt of people trying to help out-weights the amnt of **** talkers here.

---srry bout sp errors and bad grammar.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I really don't think you can afford all that you want. Maybe if it has a salvage title, your better off in getting a 2000-2002 and probably not a 330ci since they are usually more expensive then the lower trims. All I can say is good luck, I got my 2000 323i with 130k for $5500. Just look on Craigslist and find out if you can afford, and don't worry I was 18 when I bought my car.

·
Premium Member
28,893 Posts
Since you are new to the 3 series, search subframe failure so you do not get burnt if you buy a 2003 or earlier!

·
Registered
29,664 Posts
It all comes down to either having a lot of money or having a decent amount of money + knowing how to work on cars. Either way, you will pay with money or money+time. It also comes down to how picky you are. If you just want to have the badge and cool features, you might be able to get by with minimum money spent. If picky, it's a lot of time and money invested.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Hey, welcome to E46F.com! BMW's are amazing machines! We all love them very much here. I have to say that a 330i or ci for $5,000-$7,000 is unlikely to be found(just yet). 330's are a bit more expensive and can range anywhere from $7,500-$10,000 depending on where your live, the condition of the car and the car's mileage.

I recommend reading up on these cars as much as possible before just jumping in and buying one. You must consider maintenance of these cars as well, these cars aren't like an Acura or other Japanese cars. They are expensive to maintain and you can't ignore small problems when they pop up or they will turn into bigger more expensive problems. Sadly, these cars aren't just start and go.

·
Registered
487 Posts
If you want to keep an aging E46 running, you're going to spend some money, even if the previous owner(s) kept it up fairly well. Buying the thing is just the beginning! Not that I (we!) want to discourage you, because they're great cars, but you need to be clear that you can't just put gas in it and buy tires once in a while. Which kind of paraphrases what liquiddawn and Mango said.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
No. No way you're going to get a 330ci that year with nav and sports for that cheap without it being an absolute mess of a car.

And one thing people always seems to forget to factor in when buying a car (especially when they can barely afford it) is the cost of ownership. I'm not trying to be mean, but these cars aren't Civics. They're needy when it comes to preventative maintenance. And that maintenance costs money.

I would caution from buying a "too good to be true" cheap BMW. Sure, you might come out on top and get a gem, but 99% of the time you're going to end up spending so much fixing what's wrong that it would have cost the same or LESS to buy a well maintained one. And while that's going on your ownership experience is going to be crap.

·
Registered
DDing an only somewhat-janky four-season miata
12,042 Posts
No. No way you're going to get a 330ci that year with nav and sports for that cheap without it being an absolute mess of a car.

And one thing people always seems to forget to factor in when buying a car (especially when they can barely afford it) is the cost of ownership. I'm not trying to be mean, but these cars aren't Civics. They're needy when it comes to preventative maintenance. And that maintenance costs money.

I would caution from buying a "too good to be true" cheap BMW. Sure, you might come out on top and get a gem, but 99% of the time you're going to end up spending so much fixing what's wrong that it would have cost the same or LESS to buy a well maintained one. And while that's going on your ownership experience is going to be crap.
:rofl: at your sig

·
Registered
228 Posts
You're probably looking at 9-10 grand for a 330CI or even a bit more. One thing you ought to know, you get what you pay for and this is painfully accurate for a BMW. If you skimp on the buy price, you WILL pay for it later. You're better off paying extra for a well maintained E46. Make sure before you purchase, you get a PPI. Its a few hundred dollars, but it could save you from a few thousand dollar mistake. It will take you a while to find the right car with the options you are looking for, if you even can find it. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
only 5500-7000?? Seriously man, get out of here.

That you can get a 1999-2001 323i 325i SEDAN. Always remember, right after buying a car. There are always $500-1000 something repair cost that follows soon after.

·
Registered
962 Posts
That price is definitely not right for what your looking for. Navigation is an upgrade, the seats with the "thigh support" are part of the sports package, which adds money to the price. You're probably looking more around the lines of 12-18k depending on the condition, etc, etc.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.