E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a HPF stage 1 and my clutch started to slip in 3rd gear @ 6k RPM. I decided to purchase a new clutch and choose the HPF stage 1 Feramic due to many positive feedbacks. I had my HPF authorized installer put in the clutch and check for any possible issues with the flywheel. Everything passed and the trans was slapped back on.

My first impressions on the clutch is that it felt lighter than the stocker...ok with me. The clutch grabbed a little harder when releasing the clutch and felt chatter...ok with me because it would dissapear after 1k miles according to HPF and a lot of forum users.

I drove very easy for the first 500 miles and did most of those miles on I270 during rush hour. I have read that it is best to do the initial breakin in the city so I thought it would be perfect. For those who do not know I270, it is a major b!tch.

After the break in, i gradually gave the car boost from rolling in 3rd. Clutch held great and felt great (still chattering though from stop). After another 300 easy miles, I started to feel vibration in the clutch pedal and the gear selection became more difficult. I drove it home and called my installer to see what could be wrong. He told me to drive it to the shop and he could take a look. The next day trying to drive to the shop, I could not get it in gear. When I press slightly into first the car started to roll. Could be a master/slave cylinder? Nope, my shop replaced it and still had the problem getting the car into gear.

Called up HPF and they said to drop the trans...here is what we found. pics attached.

Some info on my driving style: driven manual since 2003, never do burnouts, only get on boost when rolling (most of the time starting in 2nd gear), never power shifted, but I do down shift 1/3 of the time.

Can someone give me your opinions on how this could of happened? I have heard many HPF feramic users abuse their system and still going strong. I just putz with mine and after ~800 miles, my clutch/flywheel is sh!t.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
727 Posts
Burned to a crisp, i know this doesnt help but that thing is fried. I really dont know what to tell you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Im going through the brake in period on my mine as well. But I have not had any of the problems your having. When you say "chatter" do you mean an actuall noise or a feeling the like the car won't go? Feels like it's stuttering a bit?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you slip the clutch for excessive periods?
I dont believe I have. I did take the car to the BMW dealership to install some tires, maybe the techs did something, but the problem of the vibrating clutch pedal and hard shifts were present before.

Mainly just stop and go traffic, never rode the clutch and keep it in gear until the last minute to drop out of gear.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im going through the brake in period on my mine as well. But I have not had any of the problems your having. When you say "chatter" do you mean an actuall noise or a feeling the like the car won't go? Feels like it's stuttering a bit?

It is like the clutch grabs and releases, grabs and release. It is like what all the SMG guys are stating during breakin. No noise, but you can feel it. It is slight but noticable.

·
Lutz Performance-FL BMW F/I
1,096 Posts
that shutter your feeling, to me, was probably the clutch slipping on the flywheel. Do you have an SMG car or 6 speed? Your saying that flywheel looked ok prior to the HPF clutch?

How did the car feel right after the installation? Did this change shortly after?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ok. Mine did that a couple times when first started with new clutch. I just gave it a little more gas and adjusted foot position on clutch pedal. No more problem after that. You might just be trying to hold too little rpm when engaging. Remember the HpF clutches like a quick on and off shift. Atleast that's the way seems to me on both the stage3 clutch and stage1 clutch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that shutter your feeling, to me, was probably the clutch slipping on the flywheel. Do you have an SMG car or 6 speed? Your saying that flywheel looked ok prior to the HPF clutch?

How did the car feel right after the installation? Did this change shortly after?
I have the 6 speed. This shutter only happens going from stop in 1st gear it is very brief and when the clutch grabs (aroune 2-3mph) it is fine.

According to my tech, the flywheel was fine. I did not have any issues with the stocker clutch other than it slipped during WOT in 3rd gear above 6k rpm. I originally thought that I lost traction, but did not see the traction light come on. I tried it again to verify, and that is when I decided it was a slip. Drove with the clutch for another ~100 miles babying the clutch until my HPF arrived.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok. Mine did that a couple times when first started with new clutch. I just gave it a little more gas and adjusted foot position on clutch pedal. No more problem after that. You might just be trying to hold too little rpm when engaging. Remember the HpF clutches like a quick on and off shift. Atleast that's the way seems to me on both the stage3 clutch and stage1 clutch.
Yeah, I do engage the clutch at low rpm, but the stuttering/chatter is really not much of an issue to me. I have heard this will all go away after some miles. I just wanted to break in the clutch properly by not revving it too high.

I am just trying to determine why my clutch lasted <1k. Maybe it could be my original flywheel that had some minor imperfections that caused this mess. I have no idea...

"Remember the HpF clutches like a quick on and off shift." - This is my DD and am usually stuck in traffic, so dropping the clutch hard will probably land me in the back seat of the car in front of me. I have talked with HPF and they stated that this clutch is perfectly at home with stop and go traffic, even on I270.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How did the car feel right after the installation? Did this change shortly after?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, forgot to answer this part.
Car felt good, clutch was lighter than stock. the clutch pedal vibration started around 700 miles, and the harder shifts started soon after that. At around 800 miles, it was not going in any gear at all. That is why we changed out the master/slave cylinder to see it if solves the problem. Unfortuntely it did not.

I do remember around the 700 mile mark, I WOT in second and switched to 3rd and could not get it in there, no grinding, no nothing. Just could not shift to 3rd until the rpms slowed down under 4500.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
If it was chattering/stuttering. brand new or not, you were driving wrong......and you should of atleast got your flywheel resurfaced or got a new one, going from one clutch to another without resurface can cause problems.

·
Formerly Snox400
504 Posts
Sorry to hear this happen.

My experience has been that there is difference between city driving and driving in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Some of us know that I270 is the latter. The constant cycling of the clutch in traffic likely caused considerably heat buildup. The difference being with the new clutch is that I suspect with break-in on your mind, you might've been slipping it a little more, for a little bit longer on each re-engagement.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If it was chattering/stuttering. brand new or not, you were driving wrong......and you should of atleast got your flywheel resurfaced or got a new one, going from one clutch to another without resurface can cause problems.
I am not sure if I am describing the chattering right. It is like what all the SMG guys state when they installed the HPF clutch. It only happens starting out in first and eventually goes away. I have read many threads on e46f that state the same clutch experience that I am having.

As for the resurface/replacement flywheel, I have talked to HPF before purchasing and they stated that reusing the flywheel would be perfectly fine. Just to inspect it first. I should have changed it anyways, though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry to hear this happen.

My experience has been that there is difference between city driving and driving in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Some of us know that I270 is the latter. The constant cycling of the clutch in traffic likely caused considerably heat buildup. The difference being with the new clutch is that I suspect with break-in on your mind, you might've been slipping it a little more, for a little bit longer on each re-engagement.
very possible. I tried very hard to not slip much during bumper to bumper traffic, that is why I engage the clutch at a lower rpm.

This brings up another question, after the proper breakin of the clutch in regular city traffic, will the clutch handle the I270? My stocker clutch lasted 60k on I270 and 10K with the HPF kit. I am sure that my clutch would last a little longer if I was not boosting.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
and you should of atleast got your flywheel resurfaced or got a new one, going from one clutch to another without resurface can cause problems.
^This

My money is on old flywheel + greasy mechanic paw prints = glazing/hot spots.

BTW, Not sure if it is necessary on the S54, but I always replace flywheel & pressure plate bolts too (cheap insurance)...

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
^This

My money is on old flywheel + greasy mechanic paw prints = glazing/hot spots.

BTW, Not sure if it is necessary on the S54, but I always replace flywheel & pressure plate bolts too (cheap insurance)...
Dont really think the greasy paw prints would hurt it much, just burn of. I had a UUC clutch back in the day and my slave cylinder blew out all over the clutch, I just drove it hard after I replaced the slave cylinder and burned off all the brake fluid and it worked perfect with many track days, it lasted til I got a HPF kit

1 - 20 of 36 Posts