BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The convertible is different than all of the DIY's I found. They say you should find the wiring harness with the white connector. All I found on my car are these two harnesses. The one on the left was wrapped up and not connected to anything - it has three wires. The one on the right connects with the overhead lights. Does anyone know which wire I should tap into.
Thanks.
Brandon

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Help Please! My car is torn apart and I'm afraid to just start trying diferent wires. Is it okay to just try each one?
:confused:

·
[]D[][]V[][]D[][]\[]
2,782 Posts
u can tap any of those wires as long as u know what voltage u need :dunno:

·
Registered
76 Posts
The smaller connector that is not connected to anything is what you want. You are looking for a positive wire that switches off with the throttle. Take a volt meter and hold it to each wire in that harness as you turn the key on and off. Hold the black ground wire for the meter to a screw or metal part nearby. Notice that the needle of the meter goes up and down as you turn it on and off- that will be the correct wire. My 323 didn't have the same wiring as the DIY's either so I had to figure it out. It's probably the yellow wire on the left connector.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you very much. I don't have a volt meter, but at least now I can make an educated guess.
One other question - - where did you put your ground wire. That area on my car does not have any exposed screws etc. where it would be easy to ground the wire; any suggestions?
Thanks.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The link you are referring to is for coupes and sedans (i.e. sunrook motor and wiring). My car doesn't have any of the wires that he refers to.
Could someone please help me. I still haven't completely put my car back together.
B

·
Registered
76 Posts
Take a very small self-tapping screw and find some place to drill it in, like a bracket or something for the ground. There has to be some metal part that is not the body of course that you can screw it into.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Up where the wires are, there is black sheetmetal that isn't the same layer that is on the exterior of the car. Would it be okay to put a screw into that for the ground?
Also, I still don't know which wire to tap into. Help Please.
B

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:flipoff: JK - you haven't been trying to get this damn thing to work for like 5 hours. Now, I finally found a 12V wire and a ground (both work according to the multimeter I bought) and the stupid thing still won't work. I think there is a problem with the adapter thing that comes with the VI:dunno:

·
blackonblack
269 Posts
make sure the v1 is turned on...i hardwired mine yesterday and couldn't get it to work for the life of me...

then I realized....

welcome to my life.

sig.

·
blackonblack
269 Posts
I can't really see the colors for the left set of wires, but in my car, the brown wire is always the ground, and the green was the active lead.

Make sure you have crimped the correct wire. Also, check if you ground is good enough by touching the V1's grounded wire to a known ground...frame of car, etc.

good luck...if it still doesn't work, take some more pictures of your setup, I am sure we can help you out.

sig.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts