E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

How much would you invest in transmission

• replace with junk yard transmission

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
325i with 110K good clean car. Recently did all the routine stuff including cooling system including stewart pump, ccv, vanos, control arms and bushings, motor mounts, even new contenental tires. Only thing left on to do list is shocks.

Now the transmission is leaking, apparently from the torque converter seal. The fluid coming out is dark gray not even a hint of red. Transmission still runs and shifts well but the leak is real bad. While I do all my own work I can't see myself dropping a transmission under a car on jack stands so i'd be paying someone to do the work.

Option #1 is to replace the seal and flush the system which seems like an easy job with minimal parts cost. But the condition of the fluid concerns me. I expect the cost close to $1000, maybe???

Option #2 find a junk yard transmission and flush the the system. If I could find a low mileage one for less than $1000 I would consider however, I don't know how you trust a jink yard to very the mileage claim. Plus I expect another $1000 to install.

Option #3 get a rebuilt transmission done right but the prices I find are more than $2000 plus I expect another $1000 to install.

Option #4 I know many will suggest 5 speed swap but that option seems particularly expensive

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Unless you have bad transmission, I'd go for #1. It won't cost you close to $1k..
If you live DFW area, I can give you a number of good BMW indy shop. Let me know

1 - 3 of 3 Posts