BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup guys?
I currently have a Canon SD630 as my one and only camera; I've had it for about 4 years now. For what I felt was a good enough image quality for me back then - is no longer now. Even at ISO 200, the result is too noisy for my liking.

Basically, my budget is no higher than ~$350, I'd like to get something new and better. Something with a good sized optical zoom, good quality video taking, and possibly something that can interchange lenses.

So far, I've found:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830180331

any thoughts? TIA.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
The one you linked to is probably your best bet. For $350 you won't get much in the way of an interchangable lens camera and you for sure won't get a good lens with it. The best route to take is a good, higher end super zoom or try to find an older Canon G series camera on ebay/craigslist.

Good luck!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I honestly really rather not spend more than $300... $350 was just me being generous.

·
.--. . -. .. ...
5,537 Posts
You can probably find a Canon S95 for ~$350. You'll be hard pressed to do better at that price. It has a fast lens, so you don't have to crank up the ISO in low light, it shoots HD video, has built in flash, and it has Canon glass.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I honestly really rather not spend more than $300... $350 was just me being generous.

You just missed all the sales. June/July store slash their prices on camera. Nothing wrong with them, its just come Sept/Oct new lines come out. I know Staples in-store had a lot of great cameras on sale. Canon SD ??

Canon 300 HS

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/753773-REG/Canon_5096B001_Powershot_300_HS_Digital.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfknqetpUOU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HKMybfhl_s

·
Registered
478 Posts
Have you looked into the Nikon d70? If you looked hard you could probably find a deal on craigslist for $350 with a zoom lens. You can check out my flickr to see the kinds of shots that it takes. It's not the newest and best, but it gets the job done with decent quality.

·
Registered
183 Posts
check the sales forums on potn (photography on the net) or fredmiranda.com

You can likely find an s95/g11 or 12 for your budget. These would be suitable for your budget.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Have you looked into the Nikon d70? If you looked hard you could probably find a deal on craigslist for $350 with a zoom lens. You can check out my flickr to see the kinds of shots that it takes. It's not the newest and best, but it gets the job done with decent quality.
No video on the D70 though.

From what I hear the S95 is a hell of a camera.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
used G12 or S95.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So these are the camera that seem legit, according to what you guys suggested:

Panasonic DMC-FZ40K
Panasonic Lumix LX-5
Canon S95
Canon 300 HS
Nikon d70 (used)

In which order would you place these cameras.. from best to worst, why?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
they are all legit. It depends on your needs. all are great choice.

Look at what you want to do most or get out of a camera. If you need video or something to shoot cars (wide angle) or fast action (fast shutter speed). Or interchangeable lenses like a DSLR.

The interchangeable lenses will cost more than $350. Once you get the body, you will want to add more lenses. I started with a $800 budget, that went $1k. Then changed to a better DLSR. After 4yrs, I'm ready again to trade up to a kit that cost close to $2500 (Nikon D7000 and 24-70mm Nikkor lens) ((droolll))

If you are looking at a DSLR to shoot video, let me tell you, its not that easy as on a P&S camera. After my last shoot with it, I find that I would need some rigging to get the best results.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
my choice is really stuck between: Panasonic DMC-FZ40K & Panasonic Lumix LX-5 ... help me out guys!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts