E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
some of my speakers sound like pop corn. like to jam only the heaviest of metal louddddddd! anyway should i just replace to busted ones? where can i find them? or any suggestions on speakers i could get for kinda cheap.
bmw 330i 2001

Attachments

·
Registered
233 Posts
The mid-bass speakers in the doors and the rear deck tend to fail soonest. Even with the Harmon Kardon option, the speakers are cheap paper-cone, lightweight magnet POC's.

You can replace just the bad ones and make a huge improvement. At www.Crutchfield.com, you can enter your car info, and they'll tell you what will fit.

The mid-bass are 2-ohm speakers, which are kinda hard to find. I bought Infinity 6022si for the rear deck at $59 a pair because they are being discontinued and are on sale. Very good speakers for a great price. Look around and let me know if I can help further.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Bander, were your originals HK or base-model?

·
Registered
233 Posts
The originals were non-HK. The rear deck speakers sit in a plastic "basket" that I was able to use to advantage. I'm pretty sure the HK system has these baskets too. The stock speakers have a very weird 3-hole mounting system (Crutchfield sells an adapter, more about that in a minute) and it is hard to mount replacement speakers without a lot of effort making homemade adapters. Here's one guys saga: http://www.jumboprawn.net/jesse/projs/bmw_e46_audio.htm. There's good info here about the depth that's available to mount non-OEM speakers (without cutting sheet metal like some people are willing to do.:loco:). And Crutchfield and SonicElectronics are both good about specifying mounting depth for the speakers they sell.

The Infinity speakers are 2-ohm, so they match, and the 6 1/2 inch size fits fine in the rear. I took out the plastic basket (you have to lay in the trunk and free a couple of tabs and push up). I cut the four mounting tabs off the Infinity with snips, and siliconed it into the plastic basket. It drops right in. I also cut the speaker connector out of the old speakers and wired it up to the new speakers. The plastic basket has the 3 tab mounting system, so it bolted right in. The diagram on realoem doesn't show the tabs on the basket, but it has them. BTW, the baskets are mirror images of each other (i.e. there's a right and a left) so don't get them mixed up.

I used Infinity Reference 6022si (the si is for shallow mount) these are 2-way speakers with a built-in tweeter. The tweeter won't do anything because the crossover has already happened at the amp, but they are less expensive than the component system (6030, I think) where you end up throwing away the supplied crossover. The newer model, 6032si is on sale now too. Be careful of the ones (not si model) where the tweeter sticks up out of the speaker cone, those will prevent the OEM grill from snapping back on.

Finally, Crutchfield has an adapter (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SABW525/BMW-Speaker-Brackets.html?tp=2824) that allows almost any 5 1/4 inch speaker to fit in this location. The mid-bass speakers in the front doors are the same as the ones in the rear shelf.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
i just recently put a pioneer head unit, with alpine type r's for both the front doors and both the rear. Im happy with it. I will amp them soon as i heard they are WAY better amped! and also maybe throw in a 10" sub. (maybe) lol

just given you my personal experience

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.