BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought my 325i right, and I knew the rotors were bad and it needed brakes, which I am getting done next thursday. So today I was driving and my brake sensor went on my dash
This pic: http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/at...8118071-what-light-my-dashboard-dashboard.jpg

I was kinda scared then I thought, oh wait thats for the brakes, which I am getting fixed.

Now about 3 hours later I was sitting in a parking lot at idle, and my service engine soon light pop'd up.

So, I shut down the car, and drove it for a minute, and it came back on. Now it's on when I start the car, could this be because of the brakes? and the sensor?

or is it something bad? anyway I could find out the problem? because I brought this to my uncle who works on bmws, and big trucks, and he test drove it and only said it needed brakes and rotors.

·
Registered
26,444 Posts
Yea, with brake pad warning light...I know one SA said you have 1500 miles left to one fanatic...but I think that's too many miles based on my recent experience...I was down to less than 1.5 mm of pad on one of my fronts (and it's prolly only fronts you might need)...and not to disagree with your uncle, but you might not even 'need' new rotors. They'll never hurt, mind you, and not a bad idea at all, but they can be measured and if they're thicker than the min thickness stamped on rotor, you can just put pads on...but I'd prolly take off rotors anyway and at least clean up hub, rotor hat both inside and out really well...sand them down till rust is gone...and also, clean the inside of wheel too.

On the SES, I haven't ever had that on...but I'm sure it's not an emergency...but am also sure you should read your manual to know what you should do. Someone will know, but they'll likely just say what I said, but maybe not so politely. We've got a smiley...rtfm...r, t, and m, stand for read the manual...still not sure what the f means! LOL

Most of the time, rotors can take a second set of pads, but if you have a sizeable lip on them, then your uncle may well be right that you need new ones.

HTH

Doug

1 - 4 of 4 Posts