E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been pretty happy with my little 325i thus far, I have had no major issues or anything that really required that much effort to mend. However, I feel like my little bimmer is missing something. I am supposed to get an exhaust leak repaired this week by my welding buddy. I was gonna ask him to remove the muffler at the rear of the exhaust, but I am not sure if it will be annoyingly loud. I also wanted to paint or plastidip my wheels, they're style 45 so they look pretty bad in my opinion, but I feel like they could look a lot better in black. That way it would match the dark tint I have on the car. I really appreciate any replies. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,998 Posts
Any deferred maintenance? Cosmetic fixes? Take care of those first. A properly-maintained and sorted E46 is a very nice car.

A muffler delete will be considerably louder than stock. The ZHP muffler is a nice bolt-on upgrade and sounds good.

Please don't color your stock wheels black. It looks really cheap and stupid. There are many inexpensive OEM 17" options out there that you can find on CL/eBay/FB.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it really doesn't have any cosmetic deficiencies other than the occasional swirl marks. Any idea where I can get one of those mufflers and for how much? Also, I have considered getting some rims for it but I haven't found any that won't obviously crack if I ever bump any curbs or any that won't be too big for the car.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh and the only other thing is the headliner. It is completely falling apart, and I haven't found a way to mend that.

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
5,133 Posts
OK, you asked....

Don't delete the muffler. Loud and slow just makes you appear foolish.

Plastidip is at least reversable. Meh.

Fix your headliner if you want to do something to your BMW. There are threads on here if you search that can help you. You can get the material that matches OEM, although it's near impossible to find it without foam backing (for the A, B, & C pillars). You can use the foam backed for these things, but the foam backing had better be as thin as possible. It takes a little work and a little patience, but you can do it. I did my first E46 and I'm getting ready to do my current one.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
27,039 Posts
For headliner fabric and adhesive, look for 'Veterans Co.' (if memory serves). Don't let the adhesive dry fully or you'll feel bumps beneath...and work on a small section of it at a time and fold the fabric out where you put the adhesive.

I did it by myself, though a second person would really help for getting the piece out of the car and back in. Sand/clean the base well before putting on a new piece of fabric.

As far as the mods, I'd suggest the icv cleaning mod. In case anyone comes and looks at your engine, you'll want a nice clean icv to show them. :) No to plastidip anywhere unless it's a tool that needs a handle coated. Spend your money on maintaining and your time driving and enjoying. :) I'm old so sound like this! :)

·
Registered
2004 325CI 5spd
83 Posts
Yeah, I vote nay on a muffler delete too. It'd definitely be louder but you don't want to be "that guy" do you? ZHP muffler is a good idea, catless headers would help get a good exhaust note too as long as you do it right. For cosmetic upgrades. Maybe instead of plastidipping your wheels, you could go for a chrome delete? Vinyl wrap the chrome rain gutters around the windows, change out the chrome grill for black, black out the badges etc. Personally I think it looks really good on these cars, and it'd make your stock wheels stand out a little more. Stock wheels look nice, there's nothing wrong with running them. No need to try and change them unless you're going all out on new wheels. Also, yes fix your headliner first. No matter what you do to the car, it'll seem trashy if the headliner's ****ed up. Another good thing to look at on the interior is your A, B, and C pillar upholstery, as it tends to fall apart on these cars too, and if it isn't already, it probably will soon. I think vinyl wrapped pillars look pretty good, and give you some room for customization. Saggy door panel upholstery is another one, along with wear on things you touch all the time like the wheel, pedals, and shifter. We're pretty much in the same spot with our 325s so I've been thinking about this kinda thing a lot lately, and just thought I'd throw out some of the things I'm thinking about for my car to help you come up with ideas. Peace and good luck!

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,526 Posts
I feel like my little bimmer is missing something. I am supposed to get an exhaust leak repaired this week by my welding buddy. I was gonna ask him to remove the muffler at the rear of the exhaust, but I am not sure if it will be annoyingly loud.
I also wanted to paint or plastidip my wheels, they're style 45 so they look pretty bad in my opinion, but I feel like they could look a lot better in black. That way it would match the dark tint I have on the car. I really appreciate any replies. Thanks.
No to removing your rear muffler. Will be loud on slow car.

No to black wheels that will match tires. Looks cheap imho.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts