E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m new here and needed some help about an issue that has been bugging me for a while. I have a 2001 325ci and it won’t pass smog because of a secondary air pump issue. No matter how many times I reset the codes, try to drive it calm or change parts it won’t ready up. I even flashed the ecu to a fresh base map and still nothing. If I could get some help that would be great.

·
Super Moderator
2004 325i automagic
3,861 Posts
What are the exact error codes? Try searching based on those. The SAP system operates briefly only at startup when engine is cold, so driving it calmly wont affect the SAP error.

·
Registered
2002 BMW E46 330i
570 Posts
Hi, I’m new here and needed some help about an issue that has been bugging me for a while. I have a 2001 325ci and it won’t pass smog because of a secondary air pump issue. No matter how many times I reset the codes, try to drive it calm or change parts it won’t ready up. I even flashed the ecu to a fresh base map and still nothing. If I could get some help that would be great.
Is the issue that you deleted your secondary air pump? Or is the air pump broken? Did you turn off the configuration switch in the dme? Did you leave it on the sap still equipped and it continues to throw codes? Has it been all of the above?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the issue that you deleted your secondary air pump? Or is the air pump broken? Did you turn off the configuration switch in the dme? Did you leave it on the sap still equipped and it continues to throw codes? Has it been all of the above?
I did not delete the secondary air pump and it’s not broken it turns on at the start of the start cycle, I need to check the config switch in the dme and the error code comes once every 5 or 6 drive cycles while driving.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are the exact error codes? Try searching based on those. The SAP system operates briefly only at startup when engine is cold, so driving it calmly wont affect the SAP error.
I haven’t taken a closer look at the error codes but what I can say is that they come when I’m driving and not at the start or of a drive cycle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Get a BMW Code Reader. A generic code reader won't always give you the results you need. I had a similar issue that ended up being a Secondary Air Injection Vacuum Solenoid. Turns out a previous mechanic must of left the thing unplugged (very hard to find as it's behind the manifold and had to be plugged back in by feel!). The BMW code reader told me exactly that it was a bad solenoid. The generic Autozone code was non-specific. Check the plug before buying a new one if that's what the code reader suggests!

·
Registered
2001 325i Touring. 5-speed manual. Formerly automatic.
595 Posts
1. Did you checked the hose to the valve on the head? That hose could look fine out side but all rotted out internally.

2. How old are your upstream O2 sensors?

Edit: as others have mentioned. Get a code reader and come back with the code.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Get a BMW Code Reader. A generic code reader won't always give you the results you need. I had a similar issue that ended up being a Secondary Air Injection Vacuum Solenoid. Turns out a previous mechanic must of left the thing unplugged (very hard to find as it's behind the manifold and had to be plugged back in by feel!). The BMW code reader told me exactly that it was a bad solenoid. The generic Autozone code was non-specific. Check the plug before buying a new one if that's what the code reader suggests!
Thanks for the advice, I'll check out everything you recommended.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I'll check out everything you recommended.
I had a problem with the s.a.p. check valve couple years ago.Igot lucky buying a new one, but just buy the metal gasket, even though a composit gasket comes with the check valve. E46 fanatic site here has so much info. about about it's way of injecting air into the exaust and there are some pathway clogging issues that I didn't enconter!

·
Registered
10,745 Posts
What is the code?

The SAP needs electricity to turn it on, this is pretty easy to test. You can unplug the SAP connector and use a jumper from the wire of the SAP that goes to the BRN wire of the vehicle-side connector and take this jumper to ground, then the remaining wire on the SAP gets a jumper to the B-Post that is used to connect the jumper cables to the car in the event that the battery dies. If the fan starts when you jump to the B-Post and ground, then the SAP is good. The SAP gets power from a relay on the relay panel behind the glovebox. Open the glovebox and press the pins that make it stop opening, this will allow the glovebox to open fully so that it hangs, this exposes some relay panels that are mounted to the firewall. There is a relay that is salmon colored, the color defines the current capacity. The salmon colored relay is rated for 50A. This sort of amperage creates lots of heat, which results in the contacts burning. The relay closes, causing the SAP to run, during the same period as the O2 Sensor Heaters, but the contacts fry and the SAP does not come on. On a stone cold engine, you can connect your meter to the connector where the SAP goes and measure the voltage, or you can just open the hood on a stone cold engine and start it, then get out and see if the SAP is on. If not on, but it runs when you use jumpers to connect it to the battery (B-Post), then you have trouble with the salmon colored relay.

If the SAP runs when it should, then there is a vacuum operated diaphragm that has failed.

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
11,386 Posts
If it takes 5-6 drive cycles for the code to show up, can't you just clear the code before the test?
No

The EPA (pollution police) got REAL smart and implemented something called OBD 2, starting Jan of 1995.
Instead of Johnny Ricer pulling over 1 block before the inspection station and whipping out his $29 reset tool on his highly modified grapefruit throwing muffler rice, they implemented some tests that needed to be run.

Reset the light, then all of the monitors need to run and complete satisfactorily. Johnny Ricers car could NOT accomplish such. This stopped that, mostly......

Here in my state, when you go for annual inspection (MOT for you) they plug into the J1962 connector.
1) Commutation? Pass
2) VIN numbers etc match? Pass
3) Readiness monitors have set? Yes=Pass, No= Fail.

"Drive it some more and come back" is what they'll tell you.

·
Registered
2002 330ci auto
665 Posts
Ah interesting, for us our mot is a tailpipe sniffer and then a visual inspection of the check engine light, i.e. is it off.
No

The EPA (pollution police) got REAL smart and implemented something called OBD 2, starting Jan of 1995.
Instead of Johnny Ricer pulling over 1 block before the inspection station and whipping out his $29 reset tool on his highly modified grapefruit throwing muffler rice, they implemented some tests that needed to be run.

Reset the light, then all of the monitors need to run and complete satisfactorily. Johnny Ricers car could NOT accomplish such. This stopped that, mostly......

Here in my state, when you go for annual inspection (MOT for you) they plug into the J1962 connector.
1) Commutation? Pass
2) VIN numbers etc match? Pass
3) Readiness monitors have set? Yes=Pass, No= Fail.

"Drive it some more and come back" is what they'll tell you.

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
11,386 Posts
Once we went to OBD 2, the idle or Dyno tailpipe test ended. They kept it for a time. Now most of the cars >1994 are exempt.

Sometimes having 50 different sets of rules/standards is the bollocks. In my state you can show up with rust, cracked windscreen, no wipers, clapped out suspension, poor brakes etc.
As long as the ck eng light is not on and the "readiness monitors" have set.... You pass.
And I'm doing 80 mph on the motorway with these idiots......

Mr. Hyper vigilant driver.

·
Registered
2002 BMW E46 330i
570 Posts
Once we went to OBD 2, the idle or Dyno tailpipe test ended. They kept it for a time. Now most of the cars >1994 are exempt.

Sometimes having 50 different sets of rules/standards is the bollocks. In my state you can show up with rust, cracked windscreen, no wipers, clapped out suspension, poor brakes etc.
As long as the ck eng light is not on and the "readiness monitors" have set.... You pass.
And I'm doing 80 mph on the motorway with these idiots......

Mr. Hyper vigilant driver.
Wish that was the case in my state, but in utah they do both the obd2 test and the high idle tail pipe test. You gotta pass both to pass emissions testing

·
Registered
10,745 Posts
If it takes 5-6 drive cycles for the code to show up, can't you just clear the code before the test?

No. The whole point is that you cannot drive into the smog station and clear the computer, then submit the car to be tested. Depending upon the model year, California will allow one monitor to still be running, this guy might be okay. (I said, might, because the Calif. smog rules are a bit of a moving target and we (I) don't know that he's in Calif., or somewhere else.)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts