E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys,

Don't post on here very much, i'm more of a looker. I'm on a college budget, so no real interesting mods. Just took my sedan to Paul Miller BMW in Wayne for service and they gave me some bad news. Belts cracked, oil filter housing gasket leaking, valve cover gasket leaking, rear shocks leaking, and rear coil springs cracked. I already knew about the rear suspension catastrophe, but never had enough money to fix it. The total bill including labor is 3k. Now, keep in mind I bought my '02 325xi only 2 years ago and paid 10k for it. It now has 91k miles, and isn't getting any newer. Over these 2 years I've put nearly 3k into the car just for service and maintenance. So, now the big question.

1. Send it back to Paul Miller and drop 3k to keep maintaining? (If I do this my maintenance for the car will have totaled 6k)

2. Send it back to Paul Miller, then sell it after it's completely fixed.

3. Sell as is and look into getting either e90, s4, GTI.

So, let me know what you guys think! Comments and criticisms welcome.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I was assuming with getting a little newer car I wouldn't have to be paying 6k over two years for things that shouldn't have to be replaced at 85k miles. Obviously it's an european car so maintenance will always be more expensive than usual, but I did not think I would be paying more than half of what I got the car for. I also meant a4, not s4, same concept though.

·
Premium Member
28,893 Posts
#1, Do not pay the dealer to do anything on your car, they are far too expensive and always try to up sell you on things that are not critical yet. They use a lot of scare tactics.

#2, Most of what you have listed are normal problems for these cars. Many of these things you might be able to do yourself?

#3. Find a reasonable Indy in your area and get these items repairs as needed. Work on the critical items first, then work your way down to the less critical items.

#4. If you repair these items, even at half the price, I would probably keep the car.

Agree if you cannot afford an E46, do not consider an Audi or an E9x.

Find some local handy friends, buy them dinner and beer and have them help you out. If you need tools, you can buy or rent them for less than the dealer labor will be, then you will be more self sufficient.

·
Registered
886 Posts
At 91k it is almost like new. Belts, gasket, VCA, and rear shock are not unexpected items at 91k. $3k seems like allot---not sure but an indy who works on BMW's may charge half that. You can do most of the work your self for even less. Even a non- Bavarian auto can expect these items at 91k.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.