BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, long time viewer of the forum, and have been saving up to get my dream BMW. I love the classic look of the generation, and have really tried to seek out one that is in good shape. I found one that looks pretty clean, and wanted to get opinions about what you guys thought about it before I go and actually take a look myself. The only thing I can see from the beginning is that there are an array of warning lights on. I know in my current car, when the key is on, but not started, these lights can come on, and I was just wondering if this was the case with the E46 as well (RPM is at zero, so car has to just be off). Other than that, it looked pretty good, just wanted to get another opinion. The carfax looks a bit light, but I'll have to see if they have records of any kind, and of course a PPI. (If anyone nows a good place near Seattle?) Thanks.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/659592578/overview/_a_

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it was only my choice, it would be a six speed all the way, but unfortunately I have another person that will also be driving that unfortunately can't drive stick. Sigh..OK well if it looks good, I'll go take a look.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Lights on with the key in Position 2 is normal.

Car looks very clean and the mileage is quite low. I'd say it's worth checking out/test driving.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hello, long time viewer of the forum, and have been saving up to get my dream BMW. I love the classic look of the generation, and have really tried to seek out one that is in good shape. I found one that looks pretty clean, and wanted to get opinions about what you guys thought about it before I go and actually take a look myself. The only thing I can see from the beginning is that there are an array of warning lights on. I know in my current car, when the key is on, but not started, these lights can come on, and I was just wondering if this was the case with the E46 as well (RPM is at zero, so car has to just be off). Other than that, it looked pretty good, just wanted to get another opinion. The carfax looks a bit light, but I'll have to see if they have records of any kind, and of course a PPI. (If anyone nows a good place near Seattle?) Thanks.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/659592578/overview/_a_
The lights are normal, as you stated the RPM gauge reads 0 so the car is in key "on" position but has not been started yet. I would see how much they are willing to budge on the price, 12K for a 11 year old car seems a bit much, especially for an e46 (non ZHP)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That's what I was also thinking. I'm going over in that area next weekend, if it's not sold I'll take a look, if I like it, I'll get a PPI. I was going to see if they would go down in price. While it's low miles, if they haven't had any of the cooling system looked at or transmission oil changed, I will point that out for a price change. If I got out with it for under 10k I would be psyched.

·
Registered
87 Posts
automatic and 100k kms (or 60k miles for ameri-brahs), I would skip it. In Vancouver automatic 330i/ci's go for less than $8,000 easily

·
Registered
665 Posts
At 60,000 miles you will soon need new cooling system, shocks and struts, control arms and bushings, fuel pump and filter, transmission fluid change. Figure this in on the price you pay. I bought mine at 57,000 miles and shortly after did all the PM and feel confident that this car will give me many trouble-free years of service.

The car you're looking at has a nice color combo and looks clean. I love the style 71 wheels!

You might want to consider the electric fan swap as PM also. Can you do any DIY?

·
Registered
146 Posts
That car looks very clean and the mileage is quite low, BUT, I wouldn't pay no more than 7 or 8/k. Almost 12/k is way too much. At that price it will be there a long, long, time.

If you can buy the car outright, you will be in a better position to negotiate the price. Hard to get financing on a 2005. Besides financing a 2005 is not a good idea anyway. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I want to start getting into DIY. I have watched some tutorials and think I could probably do a pretty good job. I will definitely take this into consideration when negotiating though.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I wouldn't recommend any E46 unless you were the DIY type. There cars are not hard to work on and the prices of parts aren't bad at all. Taking an E46 to
a "shop" will drain your bank account quick in a hurry. Plenty of Utube videos and knowledge on this forum makes working on these cars easier!!!

·
Registered
E39 E90 E46 F10
5,041 Posts
Yep, that I what I will do. No way I will pay shop labor price!
Then jump right in. The E46 is a fun platform to drive, work on and the boards are always active if you want to get all fanatic about it.

I've paid for more money for other toys that were a lot less fun. Don't forget to get a PPI if you don't know what you're looking at.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yep PPI is definitely a must. As a side note, does anyone know a good shop in Seattle area for a PPI? Indy or is best bet BMW of Seattle and Belvue (feel they may be more expensive for same thing)

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,759 Posts
It looks very clean from the photos. But minimal options (only HK sound) and AT means it's worth less to an enthusiast. If the exterior is excellent I would give no more than 10k for it in SoCal.

·
Registered
10,107 Posts
It would be nice to see pics of the hood raised so we could see the engine bay. But, the car looks good from here, and the miles are low.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Looks really clean....like Max'd out said it'll likely need a host of new parts. It's low mileage but also full of 11-year-old plastic and rubber parts that have more than likely never been changed out and are going to have to be replaced. If you can find an enthusiast-owned car with around 100k on the clock it would already have that stuff done and it'd be a better buy. Don't rule out buying a Vancouver or Victoria BC car - it can be done.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Very clean, sharp car! As has been said, IMO, it's priced a little high for non-ZHP. Definitely worth a look though.

·
Registered
833 Posts
It has some maintenance on its record. Lower fcab bushings replaced at 53,492 miles. It has 3 previous owners, the first being a lease. Options are not so staggering, the best probably being the adaptive headlights, and 2 piece rims.. Most of the servicing has been done by an indy.

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
4,946 Posts
Nice car. Lots of pics now.

I agree it's over priced, but it's at a stealer and I'm sure they expect to negotiate.

Plug the VIN into a VIN decoder to determine exactly what options it came with.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts