BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just got the PC starter kit from detailedimage and i just tried it out on my moms 528, since mine has just been waxed a couple weeks ago. I've read in another post that polishing with the PC should be done on speed 6. When i start to speed up, wax starts to spray around the pad (using white pad) and make little beads on the surrounding areas. Im not even up to speed 6 yet when this starts happening. more like 3-4. I'm using Zymol cleaner wax, which i usually follow with meguiars high tech yellow #26.

How do i keep the wax between the pad and the car, and not all over the place?

sry for the noob question.

Oh and btw i got leatherique too. It worked pretty good on my black leather. definitely cleaned up the seats but they're still pretty dry/stiff. I'm gonna do the process again sometime soon and let the oil soak aaallll day in the sun. i only let it be for a little under 4hrs in sun.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Keep the pad on the surface of the vehicle when you turn it on and off. That should cut down the spray considerably :)

·
Banned
2,061 Posts
I apply the polish onto the paint, and before turning the PC on, rub the polish around on the paint.........

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^ i do both of those things, but as the pad gets primed it starts to spray mainly around curved surfaces. im just gonna keep practicing with it and hopefully i'll get it down.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm in the same boat, kinda. My Flex is on its way and I have never used a buffer before. Anxious, and nervous.

·
Banned
2,061 Posts
I'm in the same boat, kinda. My Flex is on its way and I have never used a buffer before. Anxious, and nervous.
Take deep breaths..........lol

No seriously. Its not as dangerous as you think.

Now if you have a rotary in your hands, thats a different story

·
Registered
7,684 Posts
jeffro3000 I typically apply a small amount on my pad and then smear it very thin over the section I'm working on with the buffer off. Some people even turn the buffer on speed 1 to spread it even further before cranking it to 6. Following this method the product should not sling all over even when on speed 6. You may get some dusting from the polishes, which is pretty normal. If you are getting sling beyond that I would suspect you are using too much product. You may need to use a fresh pad or clean it mid way through the detail. I like to use at least two polishes while polishing so it doesn't get too much product in it. If you do not have multiple pads then I would suggest spraying the pads with some quick detailer and wiping away some excess product.

Let me know if you have additional questions and thank you for your support!

Greg @ Detailed Image

·
Registered
252 Posts
Anxious, and nervous.
while i've never used the polish you mentioned, here is what I do and never had a problem, most basic rule is not to use too much polish and work in 8x8 or 12x12 sections only. secondly, i recommend blotting the polish into the finish in four blots, i've found if you rub it on you get too much product on the side of the pad which can cause splattering:

squirt three pea size dabs around the outer part of pad for a 12x12 section
blot polish from pad onto surface 4 times w/i the 12x12 section b4 turning on buffer to avoid splattering
start Flex at level 1 or 2 and move quickly to spread polish evenly in the 12x12 section
then up it to 5 or 6 moving 1 inch per second over lapping 50%
just b4 poilish breaks down drop to 2 and do one last pass to minimize hazing
3 – 5 mins until broken down
as polish thins out lighten up the pressure and increase movement
stop once the polish breaks down (begins to dust)
remove w/ microfiber towel

·
Banned
2,061 Posts
squirt three pea size dabs around the outer part of pad for a 12x12 section
blot polish from pad onto surface 4 times w/i the 12x12 section b4 turning on buffer to avoid splattering
start Flex at level 1 or 2 and move quickly to spread polish evenly in the 12x12 section
then up it to 5 or 6 moving 1 inch per second over lapping 50%
just b4 poilish breaks down drop to 2 and do one last pass to minimize hazing
3 – 5 mins until broken down
as polish thins out lighten up the pressure and increase movement
stop once the polish breaks down (begins to dust)
remove w/ microfiber towel
Most polishes never dust. It also depends on the climate, humidity, weather. Alot of factors.......

Once the Polish "Flashes Over" (Turns Clear) You know you successfully broken down the polish........

I have never applied more polish when it was about to break down. And I never had any hazing...........

Also, if your using a heavy compound, or polish. You ARE going to get hazing. By eliminating this, you will finish up with a lighter polish

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have never applied more polish when it was about to break down. And I never had any hazing...........
hmm, did you get the idea that i recommended to add more polish by my statement just b4 poilish breaks down drop to 2 and do one last pass to minimize hazing ? if so that was not my intent - to clarify i meant to decrease the speed on the flex from the higher speed used to work the polish to the lower speed setting of 2. i read someone this helps limit the possibility of hazing, granted i'm not sure if it really works but i do this step anyhow. one, b/c it might be limiting hazing but secondly when i restart the flex for my next section it's already at a lower setting and easier to spread the polish.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys!

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
when i spread it around, like by turning it on 1, it starts to dry before i even start to work it in. Is this supposed to happen?

·
Banned
2,061 Posts
hmm, did you get the idea that i recommended to add more polish by my statement just b4 poilish breaks down drop to 2 and do one last pass to minimize hazing ? if so that was not my intent - to clarify i meant to decrease the speed on the flex from the higher speed used to work the polish to the lower speed setting of 2. i read someone this helps limit the possibility of hazing, granted i'm not sure if it really works but i do this step anyhow. one, b/c it might be limiting hazing but secondly when i restart the flex for my next section it's already at a lower setting and easier to spread the polish.
:rofl:

Yea, I read that totally wrong. Always drop speed when its about to flash. Its a great tip that works great

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i'll switch to something besides the zymol cleaner wax next time just in case.

any recommendations for a polish? i was thinking poorboys SSR1 or maybe something menzerna. My paint's already in pretty decent shape so i dont thing i need anything with big time cutting power. what about meguiars?

·
Registered
252 Posts
any recommendations for a polish?
seems ppl are using menzerna for medium and light polishing - in order SIP, IP, 106FF, FPII. and meg's for heavy polishing / compounding - M105 and M95 mostly w/ purple foam wool (PFW) pads. i've been using SIP w/ orange and 106FF w/ white w/ my flex and getting good results.

i was gonna go w/ poorboys but the detailed image guys pushed me toward SIP and 106FF, said it works better for the bmw paint.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts