E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all you crazy ass bimmer fanatics out there, I have an amatuer question and would appreciate some help.
I have an 01 330ci coupe with staggered fitment, but I bought after market wheels and now have squared fitment of 17x7.5 all around with 235/45 Mich. Tires and need to rotate b/c I drove 7000 miles!!!
But I never had to rotate before on this car. How should I rotate them???
Front to back? or Move the fronts to the opposite side in the rear?? Please help and thanks in advance:clap::clap::clap::thumbup:

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
There are no stupid questions. only stupid answers :D usually front wheels come straight back and drive wheels cross

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Are they directional tires? If so, then you can only rotate front to back, on the same side.

If they are non-directional, rotate diagonally.

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
You do not need to rotate tires. If you insist on rotating them, swap the front and back, do not change sides.

Why did you dump the staggered setup?

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,776 Posts
You do not need to rotate tires. If you insist on rotating them, swap the front and back, do not change sides.

Why did you dump the staggered setup?
+1, you 'technically' don't rotate our tires according to the Owner's Manual.

Mine wear evenly...maybe just a tad more in the rear, but not much at all.

Keep them where they are. If you get a flat spot on a front wheel, then you can move front to back on the same side...and make sure you correct the tire pressure then!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
somebody on the forum swore the squared stuck like glue on the 330ci and I had a lot of PM with him and I tried it and it does handle excellent, especially with Mich Pilot Sport AS Plus tires 235/45 all around vs 225/35 in front and 245/40's in rear. And why wouldnt you rotate them?? Doesnt it extend the tires life???? especially b/c I have Rear wheel drive??

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
are you guys serious?? dont rotate with a SQUARED fitment? I know the owners manual says not to b/c they are assuming you stay with staggered

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Rule of thumb, rotate to the drive of the car - or simple front <-> back.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,776 Posts
I think they are directional, anyone still against rotating directional tires???
Evidently, it's just me, one other fanatic, and BMW. BMW doesn't say don't rotate if directional, staggered, or like mine made from walmart sponges and expanding foam...it says don't rotate them.

You can introduce instability.

But, besides that...let's say you could get 75K miles on it...call it 4 years of driving. You rotate every 7K miles...so 10 times in that 75K miles. You pay each time you rotate...maybe more if you also balance them...always a reasonable precaution...and let's say this does get you more miles out of the tires...

How many more miles you going to get? If it's even say 10K miles extra, then what you've spent trying to gain that extra 15% of wear is more than you'd spend on tires...or close to, I'd guess.

Don't know how long you've had your car, Ril, but like I said, my wear has always been even. Maybe you need to either turn harder or accelerate a little easier...or, just take it on New Providence road through Watchung Reservation...off Rt. 22 just a bit west of you...that'll help you keep the tires scrubbed evenly! (My favorite local 'track' and one I always will go out of my way to get on!)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ahahah ahahah no way! I always whip my car around there. I guess I wont rotate then, Ive had the car since 07 but only recently went from staggered to squared.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
OP, it depends how aggressively you drive.

If you have the right pedal down all the time, your rears are going to wear at twice the rate as the fronts. In this case, it might be a good idea to rotate, just to get more even tread wear.

Doug's right that if you don't have uneven tread wear and they ride fine as-is, leave them where they are at.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok, fair enough spage, that actually makes perfect sense, I have been peeling out on my Michelens to show off for my girl, but that sh*t will stop and Ill rotate the peeled out ones to the front.....but should I just do same side swaping, like put the front to the same side on the rear and blah blah blah??

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
It can be confusing when BMW and the tire companies don't offer the same information.
Most tire companies want the tires inspected and rotated. BMW leaves out any mention of tire rotation in the owners manual.
The Service and Warranty manual does indicate that "Tires, balance, alignment and rotation" are NOT covered by the BMW Maintenance Program.
Inspection 1 does include a check of the tires and wear patterns and suggestion for an alignment (at owners cost) if the wear pattern warrant it.

I would rotate them, following these recommendations based on directional/non-directional
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=43

Michelin requires rotating every 7500 miles to maintain the warranty -
http://www.michelinman.com/media/en-US/pdf/tires/michelin-2009-limited-warranty.pdf

Tires which wear out evenly before delivering the warranted mileage will be
replaced on a pro rata basis only if:

The tires have been rotated and inspected by a participating Michelin®
tire retailer every 7,500 miles, and the attached Mounting and Rotation
Service Record has been fully completed and signed;

1 - 18 of 18 Posts