E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
E46 330i, E46 320i, E30 318i
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

So i decided to read my car for codes and i got a few of them. Almost all of them are fixed except for one single code.
The code says the following: "CAN: data storage difference to LZV". The thing is that i haven't found anyone that has the fix for the code and that's why im asking it here. Anyone knows the fix? An answer would be much appreciated. If anything else is needed, like a picture or something else please tell me and i will respond with it.

The car that i own is a europe BMW E46 Touring from 2002.

With kind regards Andreas

·
Administrator
19,170 Posts
Are you sure that is the exact error message?
Any typos in it?

What is the error code number?

Is that error code from the instrument cluster (IKE)?

If it is actually this error:
BE [190] Data-filing difference to central light module
It usually means the mileage stored in the cluster (IKE) and light control module (LSZ) do not match.

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
4,482 Posts
Hello!

So i decided to read my car for codes and i got a few of them. Almost all of them are fixed except for one single code.
The code says the following: "CAN: data storage difference to LZV". The thing is that i haven't found anyone that has the fix for the code and that's why im asking it here. Anyone knows the fix? An answer would be much appreciated. If anything else is needed, like a picture or something else please tell me and i will respond with it.

The car that i own is a europe BMW E46 Touring from 2002.

With kind regards Andreas
How many miles on it? I think LCM stops logging mileage at 300 Km and there will be nothing you can do. Just disregard the error.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you sure that is the exact error message?
Any typos in it?

What is the error code number?

Is that error code from the instrument cluster (IKE)?

If it is actually this error:
BE [190] Data-filing difference to central light module
It usually means the mileage stored in the cluster (IKE) and light control module (LSZ) do not match.
Yes i'ts the exact same error code. But it could be it actually because there was a small box in the back at the battery compartment that was kinda burnt. Probably shorted or something from the previous owner. But anyways, i removed it and found no changes to the car or any functions at all so i didn't really think about it. I will post a picture of the box here.

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
4,482 Posts
The car has 374.567 km to it. So could that be why the error shows up?
As I understand it, yes. Just disregard the error. And just for thought, the IKE will stop updating mileage at 1,000,000 Km. One of our members got there. (621371 miles)

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
4,482 Posts
Yes i'ts the exact same error code. But it could be it actually because there was a small box in the back at the battery compartment that was kinda burnt. Probably shorted or something from the previous owner. But anyways, i removed it and found no changes to the car or any functions at all so i didn't really think about it. I will post a picture of the box here. View attachment 905526
I believe that is a European trailer module.

·
Administrator
19,170 Posts
Is there any way i can reprogram the LCM to get the KM to match up with the IKE?
No. I think the LCM simply maxes out and won’t increment beyond that ceiling. TerraPhantm pointed that out in kburger’s thread a while back.
It really doesn’t matter though as the LCM only stores the mileage as a backup in case you replace the cluster. But at this point in time no one cares about the mileage (except kburger).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No. I think the LCM simply maxes out and won’t increment beyond that ceiling. TerraPhantm pointed that out in kburger’s thread a while back.
It really doesn’t matter though as the LCM only stores the mileage as a backup in case you replace the cluster. But at this point in time no one cares about the mileage (except kburger).
That's actually pretty strange. Weird "function" from BMW.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, all the modules max out for mileage and other values. They picked 1M km for cluster and 300 km for LCM.
BMW could have made these larger, but probably thought those seemed reasonable.

Is this limit a problem in some way?
Yeah, that's probably it. Anyways, thanks for the help, I now know what the problem is at least!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.