BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 320i. Which is a Canadian spec car (which makes it difficult for part sourcing) with the m54b22. Its a 5 speed and honestly great condition for the year. Im hoping to keep it long term and I just found a good deal ona m54b30. I'm wondering what its going to take to swap this over. Ive read its plug and play and just flash the ecu. Ive also read im going to not have the right connectors for things and nothing is going to be straight forward. Im willing to do what ever it takes to make it work, because I intend to purchase a turbo for this car as well. While I have the car tore apart I intend to upgrade the clutch/flywheel. Im also trying to do as much of the labour work myself. I have a complete gasket rebuild set and am looking to upgrade injectors, fuel pump, etc.. Just also curios to compatibility for parts. Trying to do this as cheap as I can, but also as reliable too.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
12,348 Posts
That’s a lot of different competing goals. So maybe decide what to do first and in which order.

The engine swap is pretty much plug and play, Get a complete B30 engine from 03/2003 or later. You want all the intake parts including air filter box, as those are larger than the B22. Exhaust, electrical connectors, transmission interface, engine mounts, etc., are all the same. The B22 block is externally the same as a B25 and B30.

The B30 will start and run on the existing B22 software. I can remotely update it to B30 DME software, or show you how, after the swap is done. Feel free to post specific questions or reach me directly in a private conversation as I have done similar swaps many times.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@mega_stihl recently did the B22->B30 swap. We updated his DME software this morning.
I should be getting the motor next week so Ill keep you posted on what stage I am at! I may take you up on that offer on what it takes to flash the ecu. I just purchased an odb2 connector for my laptop and I just need to figure out the software and get that setup. Thanks everyone for the help :)

·
Registered
872 Posts
If the connector is INPA-competible you should be fine. Worst case scenario you need to resolder 2 pins inside the connector, as BaliDawg explained to me that pin 7 and 8 should be connected with eachother for older BMW models from E46 backwards. Good luck with your swap. If you run into trouble (or succeed), just post in here and we will try to help out a little :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts