BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone..
I was take apart my instrument cluster today to install something new. When I got everything apart, my last thing was to take off the window/glass on it. I tried and tried to pull it apart, but no luck. It looks like it is "molded" in or stuck to the outer black cluster housing by some kind of adhesive?? :dunno:

I heard from my buddy who has an '02 E46 M3, that his glass just "drops" right out with no problem. Hmmm..

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Mod Squad
12,558 Posts
I had 2 or 4 (can't remember) little torx head screws holding mine in place. Once I took those out it dropped right down. :dunno: Maybe I'm talking about something else. :confused:

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BudMan2003 said:
http://www.e46fanatics.com/howto/howtodetail.php?howto_id=26 This didnt help? I havent done it yet, but am going to be a few weeks..so let us know how it turns out..
Thanks bro, but no, that's not what I'm talking about, unfortunately.
I already actually installed my NR Auto overlay guage and used that DIY link! :)

But I'm talking about doing all that is in that link in terms of taking out the cluster, but I mean when your done, you'll have 3 pieces:
-Actual gauges/electronic board
-A black "back-piece" that fits behind the electronic circuit board
-The black oval instrument cluster housing that has your chrome/silver gauge rings WITH the glass/window attached

It is this last piece that I need to seperate, the glass from the housing piece.

Hope this makes better sense! :) Thanks...

·
BMW for life
631 Posts
Lexan cover is permanantly attached, I'm afraid. Many a E46er has come to grief trying to pry that thing off!

It was because of my ham fistedness with super glue and that unmovable cover that my saga with the E46 cluster took place...lots in search, I would think.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
audiophilia said:
Lexan cover is permanantly attached, I'm afraid. Many a E46er has come to grief trying to pry that thing off!

It was because of my ham fistedness with super glue and that unmovable cover that my saga with the E46 cluster took place...lots in search, I would think.

Hope that helps.
Damn, thanks bro...Yea, my glass is on there, and it's not coming off w/o busting it :sad:

Oh well, if anyone else has had any luck, please let me know!

·
unregistered user
826 Posts
Mine was glued in permantently...noticed that when I put my silver guage rings in.

Yeah- why do you need it removed?

·
Rolling on Dubs. Got Boost?
4,542 Posts
NickACS said:

Damn, thanks bro...Yea, my glass is on there, and it's not coming off w/o busting it :sad:

Oh well, if anyone else has had any luck, please let me know!
Nick, let me tell you... I have thought of doing the same thing you are probably wanting to do. If it was possible I would have done it :D The only thing you can do is to dremel it and then reglue it or silicone it but you will have to be perfect or else you will see it.

Good luck.....

·
Registered
903 Posts
I just put in the CF vocer thingy from Bimmian and did it from behind, that was a ***** to do, but it may be what you are talking about...

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Luke WL. said:
I just put in the CF vocer thingy from Bimmian and did it from behind, that was a ***** to do, but it may be what you are talking about...
Hmm, well I did manage to get the cf piece I have in b/t the glass/gauge rings...I just pushed it in..But the back has adhesive, so without taking the glass off, it's impossible to lay it in there :sad:
Hmm....

·
is on da floor
2,851 Posts
NickACS said:

Hmm, well I did manage to get the cf piece I have in b/t the glass/gauge rings...I just pushed it in..But the back has adhesive, so without taking the glass off, it's impossible to lay it in there :sad:
Hmm....

hmm, how about using some thin strips of double stick tape on the cluster it self? and slide in and lay the overlay ontop of it? just a idea, i have no clue how it works :dunno:

·
JDM - Style
4,163 Posts
Nick - unfortunately no, you can't detach the cover. I tried doing that a while ago.. no luck.

O/T: Warehouse has reopened and I have ordered the stuff. They'll be here tomorrow. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts