E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my first BMW and swap ever. I have a 99 BMW 328i E46 (4-door). I know almost nothing about swapping an engine and do not look to do it myself but simply want to know exactly what I can and cannot put into the car.

What M3 motors can fit into my car? And also how much am I looking to put into the whole swap process?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well if your car is a 99 you can legally put a 99 E36 engine in it. Engines must be the same age or newer than the chassis.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
It would probably be a lot easier to swap in a s52 than a s54. The S54 will have so many issues with the car that has to be taken into consideration like the electronic throttle conversion. Unless you get a wrecked donor car and swap everything over all at once like the ECU, cluster, LCM, fuel system, pedals, not to mention you probably want the transmission and rear end to get the full benefit. It would cost at least 4x what your car is worth if you don't do the work yourself, you are better off just buying the m3.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
If you aren't able to do the entire swap then just forget about it now. The price it would cost for labor to do this swap the right way making sure everything is working as it should would be at least $8k to $10k including the engine and trans. Just enjoy the car for what it is and if your dream is buying an M3 then just work towards that in the future. If you are new to older BMWs and this is your first then you will have your hands full just keeping what you have running and performing properly. Just concentrate on maintaining what you have.

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
You should probably be asking this to the shop that's doing the swap. Anything can fit if you have deep pocket.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts