BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 330ci with sports package and a stock staggered wheel setup. I want to get a second set of wheels and tires for the summer but in doing so, I want to square it up with same size wheels and tires on front and back.

I want 18x8 all the way around. I am told that the offset for the front is different than the offset in the rear and to square it up, I will need to use spacers in the rear to makeup the difference.

Does anyone have any recommendations for wheel and spacer combinations that would work?

Thanks...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure that the offset requirements are the same front and back when running the same size wheels where staggered wheels used to be?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Check if your back tires are wider than your fronts...maybe the stock rims are the same sizes but just the rear tires are wider than the front

·
Registered
10,207 Posts
I have a 2003 330ci with sports package and a stock staggered wheel setup. I want to get a second set of wheels and tires for the summer but in doing so, I want to square it up with same size wheels and tires on front and back.

I want 18x8 all the way around. I am told that the offset for the front is different than the offset in the rear and to square it up, I will need to use spacers in the rear to makeup the difference.

Does anyone have any recommendations for wheel and spacer combinations that would work?

Thanks...
Stupid question here, but if you square the summer tires, does this mean you will have staggered winter tires? Why would you do that? I understand squared winter tires, that makes perfect sense to me. But squared summer tires sorta defeats the purpose of summer tires. Stagger the summer tires and square the winter tires.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stupid question here, but if you square the summer tires, does this mean you will have staggered winter tires? Why would you do that? I understand squared winter tires, that makes perfect sense to me. But squared summer tires sorta defeats the purpose of summer tires. Stagger the summer tires and square the winter tires.
Good question... The reason is two fold. A person squares tires to improve handling and I want to begin doing track work (HPDS) in the summer, thus squaring my summer tires. The other is that I already have staggered wheels with fairly new and good all weather tires and can't afford throwing those away to buy two new sets of wheels and tires right now.

Why would you prefer squaring winter tires over summer tires?

·
Registered
10,207 Posts
Good question... The reason is two fold. A person squares tires to improve handling and I want to begin doing track work (HPDS) in the summer, thus squaring my summer tires. The other is that I already have staggered wheels with fairly new and good all weather tires and can't afford throwing those away to buy two new sets of wheels and tires right now.

Why would you prefer squaring winter tires over summer tires?
The reason I would prefer to stagger summer tires as opposed to winter tires is that with the fat tires on the back there is limited space for chains, if you use them. Also, the fatter tires would be more prone to hydroplaning and other nasty events such as that.

I thought the whole reason to stagger was to improve handling, and if that is true then you actually would benefit from staggered summer tires when you can actually go fast enough to enjoy the added grip.

Leave the all weather tires on the car until they wear out, and get snow tires for winter. Then when the all weather tires (that are really not worth a cr-p for either summer or winter) are worn out, get some real performance tires that have plenty of grip. I'm not meaning to dis all weather tires, I have them on my car. But, I mostly have summer at my house and never have winter, so the rain-management features are a benefit to me, and I don't drive agressively enough to care that my tires are cr-p. I have BFG gForce Radials with the ZR rating. They work for the kind of driving I do, but I'm sure that they are not the best for somebody that actually cares about this sort of thing.

So, keep the tires that are on the car now, and buy a set of tires for winter. Then, next spring put the staggered tires back on for summer and run them until they are worn out. This assumes that staggered tires actually improve the handling...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought the whole reason to stagger was to improve handling, and if that is true then you actually would benefit from staggered summer tires when you can actually go fast enough to enjoy the added grip.

In talking with professional BMW racers (TMS) and high performance enthusiasts who spend much time at the track, all say the same thing, squaring the wheels/tires are a must to improve high performance handling, especially at the track.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
18x8 is exactly what I'm running. No problems of any kind, on Yokohama 225/40/18 all round.
Did you convert from a staggered setup? If so, can you tell me the make and offset of your wheels. That is what I am really looking for.

Actually, if you have an OEM sport suspension that came stock with staggered wheels, your setup may possibly not be square. The distance between your rear wheels may be a little more narrow than the fronts which was offset by the factory with the larger wheels in the rear. I want a real square setup on 18" wheels and I understand that I will need spacers in the rear when using the same wheels and tires all the way around. This is what I am attempting to confirm and if this is true, what wheel/spacer combination do I need to accomplish that.

Thanks...

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Take a look at 17 X 9 wheels for your summer set especially if you will be tracking them.
They will be lighter (better performance) and tires will be less expensive. (about $40 a tire less for 245/40/17 and about $70 a tire for 255/40/17 sizes)
Track days will wear through tires much quicker.
You will get hooked on driving on the track !! :)

My 330Ci was ordered with the standard 17 X 7 wheels - 205 / 50 / 17 now used as all season / winter wheels/tires.
I bought a set of Apex 17 X 9 42mm offset 17.4 lbs each- and am running 245 / 40 / 17 tires all around. You could go to a 255/40/17 but some tires may have rubbing issues.
http://www.apexraceparts.com/ARC-8-17x9-Wheel_p_17.html
If you really want 18 inch, look at the APEX 18 X 9 wheels, only 18.6 lbs each.
http://www.apexraceparts.com/ARC-8-18x9-Wheel_p_53.html
I am running a PSS10 suspension and have no clearance issues front or back. Other coil overs that go lower may cause some front clearance issues with the spring perch/adjusters.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Staggered tires introduces understeer. I want to square mine up next year - especially for auto-crosses and HPDE but I prefer more balances and less understeer in my performance cars. :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
My 2004 330Ci with sport package came with staggered setup: 225/40-17 front, 245/35-17 rear. For track use I now run 17x8.5 wheels and 235/40-17 al the way around. (Still run the staggered setup on the street.) My understanding is that the staggered setup is there for two reasone:
1. Marketing/appearance (it looks cool)
2. It increases understeer. The basic 330Ci is very well balanced and many people ar not used to this so BMW went with the staggered setup to keep them out of trouble.
I also agree with a previous poster... go with 17" wheels/tires. They will be lighter, perform better, and cost less. On an E46, 18" wheels are for show, not go.

·
Banned
7,217 Posts
Did you convert from a staggered setup? If so, can you tell me the make and offset of your wheels. That is what I am really looking for.

Actually, if you have an OEM sport suspension that came stock with staggered wheels, your setup may possibly not be square. The distance between your rear wheels may be a little more narrow than the fronts which was offset by the factory with the larger wheels in the rear. I want a real square setup on 18" wheels and I understand that I will need spacers in the rear when using the same wheels and tires all the way around. This is what I am attempting to confirm and if this is true, what wheel/spacer combination do I need to accomplish that.

Thanks...
Coming from a square setup with 16" style 45 wheels. All I did was widen the tires, add 2 inches to the rims, and run a thinner tire to compensate.

No spacers of any kind, no rubbing, on stock suspension.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Coming from a square setup with 16" style 45 wheels. All I did was widen the tires, add 2 inches to the rims, and run a thinner tire to compensate.

No spacers of any kind, no rubbing, on stock suspension.
It sounds like you have a sedan and went from square to square. What make of wheels are you using and tire combination? Thanks...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Similar ?

didnt mean to jack youer thread but I have a similar question .i bought my 02 330 ci with black m3 wheels and staggered tire setup 225 40 17 front and 275 35 17 rear i l like the agressive look of a setup like this but im not sure i want to keep the black rims . I was thinking of putting 19' on the car and was wondering if you guys think i can use this wheel with maybe 225 35 19 front and 255 or 265 30 19 rear . The car has been lowered on springs

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts