E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it seems that my post to here have dwindled, but again ANOTHER trip to my dealership p'ssed me off so here goes...

I really don't know what to do other than call BMWUSA on this one, but really, what will they do? My service history with my East TN dealership, the one about 200 miles from Grayson, has been nothing but unacceptable.

Problem 1
It all begin with the purchase of the car when delayed paperwork and lazy ******* salesmen(plural) couldn't get things worked out for me to take delivery of my car in SC so I could attend the free BMW driving school and tour the plant.

Problem 2
The first mechanical type issue was fluid under the car of which some had blown back on the chassis. Didn't look like cosmo, but something different. So I call the dealer and question. "It's nothing, it's cosmo, they do it to all BMW's." First off, shouldn't he have asked me to bring it in for a look? And second, I found that cosmo isn't the substance used, or at least that's what the dealer said. I don't know any more. I feel I've been lied to and jerked around so much I don't believe anything they say.

Problem 3 (Stemed from problem 2)
While out the following Sat after calling about 2, I stop in and ask someone to look at the car to verify it's cosmo. I get the chance to meet the owner, Mr. Hill. When he came out in his tight white shorts, polo shirt and athletic socks I knew he would potentially be a real prick. He inspects the car and confirms it's the substance that replaced cosmo?? At any rate, I proceeded to tell him about my previous visits to the dealership, the rudeness of the salesman and he stops me and informs me that "it never happened." I musta been in the presence of God since he knew everything... That pretty much ended in a bad trip, so I left.

Problem 4
Problems with the HK rattle... Beat this dead horse. I asked my dealer about the bulletin regarding the HK. You guys tipped me off to it. He said there wasn't one. Lie #1 They proceeded to fix the rattle by taking the package tray out, tightening the bolts and that seemed to fix it. In the course of doing so, the mongloid mechanic got grease on the window, package tray, seat and B pillar. It wasn't cleaned off either. BMWUSA called in regards to my service and I grilled them.

Problem 5
I bring my car in for service, 15k. I inform the prick service guy that the clutch is slipping and the mechanism isn't working smoothly, it seems to catch and then slip. He begins his typical dellusional acid trip haze from the 70's explanation about how the clutch works. I really don't gice a f'ck cause I know what the car's is and isn't doing. Needless to say, they didn't do anyhing about the clutch. After the oil change, there was more grease on the interior of the car. I b'tch about it and they cleaned it finally.

Problem 6
Well, remember that clutch that wasn't a problem?? It cooked under aggressive driving. Nothing crazy, not drag racing, but aggressive. I mean, isn't it the ultimate driving machine or is it the ultimate grocery getter? The prick sercice dude tells me that the pressure plate was glazed and the clutch was gone. I don't think they did anything the pp so really, it's still f'cked. To date, the clutch still slips and I don't even drive aggressive anymore. Oh, he did tell me that the clutch wasn't under warranty, but he would replace it anyway.. being nice I guess. But, this was only after I contacted BMWUSA about the issue... coincidence I guess.

Side note : My prick service dude says there are no performance clutches built for 330Ci's, nor will there be.. What's he been smokin' today??

Problem 7
Door seals were binding.. It friggin seems like every problem that people have noted on this board, I've pretty much had them. They replace the seals on both doors. After that, the doors become hard to open and require extra effort to close. Not only that, but the trim at the threshold now has a gap. The dealer did not get the trim back into place.

Problem 8
Passenger doorseal has torn, the new one. I guess they didn't get it in properly. They replace it again.

Problem 9
After the seals were replaced I noted to one of the techs that the door did not close properly. He said it was the new seals. Lie #3? That's odd, cause when the car was new, it had new seals and it closed properly. I have also noted a clunking noise inside the door when closing. Could be the rod for side bracing. The dealer went along with that.. I gotta stop giving these pr'cks ideas.

Problem 10
Oil light comming on at 8k after service. I questioned my dealer and the response was this is normal. Can anyone verify that? He said that BMW stretching out the oil changes to save money.. wtf? meant that oil levels would get low. In my experience with cars, the only cars I had that "used" oil and required topping off was my VW Bugs and my 5.0 which actually is stated in the manual. Is there a patern here with the german cars? VW/BMW?

So I take it in for service. I report to them that the rear driver quarter window is leaking (Problem 11). When I was the car, water enters the window... yes it's closed. Also, there is a loud noise comming from the passenger window when rolling down (Problem 12). In the warmer months with sun shinning into the car with the windows up, usually early morning, condensation gets on all of the glass. Also, when raining in warmer months, the windows condensate on the inside (Problem 13). I figure that maybe this is due to the rear quarter leaking, letting water enter the cabin.

I go to pick up the car. I get in, it's fairly clean, but late evening so I don't scrutinize it. I look at the ticket and they had done the oil change, which I was carged for since it wasn't 15k, normal. They did a brake fluid refresh which they tried to charge me for. They replaced a clip in the rear for the child restraints. Result of them breaking it while working on the HK. So it rattled worse than before they worked on it. I note on the ticket that it said "customer complains of air noise around rear window." I had told both service pr'cks that it was water not air entering. So I tell the guy, this says air not water. He informs me that the windows were sealed in either case..??? Lie #4?

Problem 14
This morning, I get in the car, driving to work I notice more freakin' monkey grease paw prints on my gray interior. The car was cleaned, but they missed some spots. Immediately my blood starts to boil (Problem 14a).

Problem 15
Out for lunch. As I go to get in the car, I note a large chip on the side of the car, just below the guess what? Right, rear quarter window. This is a "fresh" chip. Anyone that has any incline about cars/finish can recognize a "fresh" chip.

Summary
So that all sparks me to write this long a$$ post that most no one will take the time to read thoroughly and completely.. I'm really lost for what to do. I feel that not only has my car had more than it's share of problems but my service has also been lacking. Contacting BMWUSA is the only thing to do. The dealership has given me the run around since day one, and will continue to do so. I should have never sold my bad ars 94 drop top 5.0. This experience leaves me wanting to get rid of my car to the first buyer. But this is the sad truth to what all forms of industry have come to. BMW in my book has ran it's course. I chose to spend 43k on a car that has given me nothing but trouble and worries. I could have spent far less on comprable cars; Infinity G35 Coupe, Lexus IS300, Mercedes or whatever. Now most diehard BMW fans are thinking, then f'ck off and buy one. I loved my car and dreamed of getting one. I work my a$$ off to pay for something I loath, so you gotta understand that.

All comments and opinions greatly welcomed. Link this to where ever you like! People need to know not to accept this kind of crap from a dealer. I had better treatment when I owned a honda accord.

Later

·
The De46vil's Army
16,141 Posts
i believe that warrany work pays mechanic 1/3 book time, so if job is 3 hours @ $100/per, he only get $100. serious problem with warranty work.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Sorry to hear you're having all these issues. In reality the dealer won't do much for you until you contact BMWUSA. Even then you may still have issues. I suggest you make a copy of your post on your computer because you will be needing it time after time. When I had issues contact BMWUSA customer service didn't do any good. It wasn't until I got fed up with their crap and said give me BMW USA's corporate number. I called them up, talked to a very nice lady and 10 minutes later the delaer called me kissing my ass. I haven't had a problem with the dealer since.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
On a side note: I do not suggest bypassing BMW customer service. You already discussed the problem with your dealer so customer service is next. People get pissed if you skip a level in the process (such as going straight to corporate).

·
Loves cookies
1,537 Posts
Contact BMW USA Now!

Sorry about your service chaos, if you ditch your bimmer for a lexus or infiniti i fully understand why. You are right these cars are expensive and they should function with little or no problems.
I suggest you write a letter just like the one you put on here and mail it to the vice president of bmw of north america, make sure you certifiy it so you know he got it personally, plus it shows professionism. When i bought my car and drove off the lot i got home and saw that the right side skirt had a 16in rupture that freaked me out! I know it wasn't me cause i didn't hit anything on the way home. I took it back to the dealer immedately and spoke with my salesman and the manager. At first they were acting like i was lying about it but they asked one of the tech guys and he said that the rupture is caused when the cars come off the truck too fast. They got a blk 330ci off the lot and took the sideskirt off it right there and placed it on mine, dude that is excellent customer service. Hope this helps, good luck.

*Try every option before selling your bimmer*:thumbup:

·
Registered
353 Posts
I haven't had any experience with BMW services depts yet, but will soon when I take my car in to get a early 2000 mile oil change. But it seems like there are a lot of complaints about service depts! So what is the best thing to do when you get a bad service?

There is only 1 dealer here in town, so taking it to another is kind of a hassle. I bought my car from out of state because the local dealer sucks, but having to take the car out of state for service is going to be a hassle.

·
Loves cookies
1,537 Posts
Hey rob why do you need a 2000 mile oil change, thats only required on the m3. As for tips about the dealer i don't know what exactly to tell you because my dealer is pretty good on service and i have not had a problem with them. Just remember if anything happens don't back down and have them check anything out if you suspect something is not working properly. I have a 2k2 325ci and i have had 2 minor issues with it. A few months ago the dimmer for the instrument panel got real loose and would not hold the brightest setting, and a few months before that a door hinge clip($2.00 part) somehow bent and would not let the door close all the way. These issues were taken care of in one day without any hassle and a bmw loaner was provided as well. Remember these are man made machines which are not perfect, they are expected to have a few minor issues only. Good luck i hope you enjoy your car to the fulliest without or little problems.:thumbup:

·
Registered
353 Posts
I am just anal I guess, flushing out the break in period makes me sleep better :D I am planning on keeping this car at least a good 10 years (hopefully longer) so I rather spend some money getting new oil instead of waiting till 15k.

·
Loves cookies
1,537 Posts
well that should be no problem just make sure you stick with original parts and fluids and your car should last you 20yrs easy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hang in there. When took delivery I had some issues with service that were similiar to yours. But I have to say after contacting BMWNA the dealership was responive to my needs

If its a option I would just move on to the next dealership; I drove and extra 30 minutes to the next dealership (BMW Bellevue) but it was worth the drive. I just took my car in for Service I Inspection at a different dealership due to a friends recommendation. My service advisor and tech were very professional, competent, and are fellow fanatics. My service tech found squeaks that I didnt even notice :thumbup:

My experience which was a pleasant surprise:

The
  • My Loaner car was waiting for me
  • They did not wash or vacumn my car as a requested (there other dealership scratched my car washing it)
  • They have cute girls working there (its a bonus)
  • The car was ready when they said it would be. But even better than that they called me immediately after they were done which was early

·
BMW NA Customer Relations
106 Posts
I’m with BMW of North America, LLC. I’m so sorry your service experience was not what you expected. We are here to work with you and your Center. If you need our assistance, please phone us at (800) 831-1117 or email us through the Owners’ Circle at www.bmwusa.com.

BMW NA Customer Relations

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
6,696 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems...it's clear the main problem is your dealer.

Do you have another dealer near you to take your car to?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts