BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a question my current LCM is faulty, and will need to be replaced due to my left side flashing quicker than the right.

The one I want is this...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/BMW-LIGHT-CONTRO...ryZ10374QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem

But my current LCM only has the basics, no fogs, no auto level, and no auto-detect light or w.e. The ( 0 )

If I got that and put it into my car would it work or not?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
68 Posts
The first thing you need to find out is if it is a brand new unit or not. If it belonged to another car it will not work in yours. Well actually it might but there will always be "tamper dot" next to your trip tic. This means that the ECU and LCM don't match in terms of vital information, VIN, mileage, etc.

If it is new the other options wont matter if they are there or not. It will have to be coded by a dealer to your car anyway to get rid of that dot and allow it to have full functionality.

It turns out i had the same issue with my LCM about a month ago and my left side would blink faster than my right and it turned out to be that my taillight contacts both on the bulb and in the housing itself had developed a gunk on them prohibiting a good contact for the blinker to work. After i cleaned these out it seemed to work fine and it would only do it once in a great while. fortunately for me, i was replacing my LCM anyway because i retrofitted bi-xenons and LED taillights into my car anyway.

The LCM that i put in my car was actually german spec because i am planning on using the rear fog light switch to control my angel eyes. The cool thing about that is it totally plays off the OEM appearance because an indicator light comes on on my dash to let me know they are on and everything. Well, the car thinks its the rear fogs but the switch is actually controlling the angel eyes.

Bottom line. check and be sure it is 100% new and then have it coded for your car. if its used it CANNOT be coded for your car. Also, in my opinion spend the dollars on a new one. By buying someones used parts (if it is used) you may also be buying their problems as well. you could very well have the same problem occur the day after you put it in, or a week, or 6 months later. I prefer to buy new but thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The first thing you need to find out is if it is a brand new unit or not. If it belonged to another car it will not work in yours. Well actually it might but there will always be "tamper dot" next to your trip tic. This means that the ECU and LCM don't match in terms of vital information, VIN, mileage, etc.

If it is new the other options wont matter if they are there or not. It will have to be coded by a dealer to your car anyway to get rid of that dot and allow it to have full functionality.

It turns out i had the same issue with my LCM about a month ago and my left side would blink faster than my right and it turned out to be that my taillight contacts both on the bulb and in the housing itself had developed a gunk on them prohibiting a good contact for the blinker to work. After i cleaned these out it seemed to work fine and it would only do it once in a great while. fortunately for me, i was replacing my LCM anyway because i retrofitted bi-xenons and LED taillights into my car anyway.

The LCM that i put in my car was actually german spec because i am planning on using the rear fog light switch to control my angel eyes. The cool thing about that is it totally plays off the OEM appearance because an indicator light comes on on my dash to let me know they are on and everything. Well, the car thinks its the rear fogs but the switch is actually controlling the angel eyes.

Bottom line. check and be sure it is 100% new and then have it coded for your car. if its used it CANNOT be coded for your car. Also, in my opinion spend the dollars on a new one. By buying someones used parts (if it is used) you may also be buying their problems as well. you could very well have the same problem occur the day after you put it in, or a week, or 6 months later. I prefer to buy new but thats just my opinion.
Gah, mslamb5!! I had that great idea, too! Man, I thought I would be so unique :). I was going to use the rear fog switch for my angel eyes... then I thought they would probably act like the front fogs which turn off and stay off when you turn off the car. It's a pain in the ass (and worth adding a new switch) to have to hit the button each time you turn your car on.

OP: sorry to steal your thread-- I don't know anything about buying a used LCM but that sounds like a bad idea to me :). I do know there is a DIY to retrofit rear fog lights by simply adding the front panel, and I don't recall reading anything about having to get the car coded for that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
That is true you can add the front LCM panel to retrofit rear fogs, however i needed a new LCM for my LEDs and bi-xenons.

The issue i have with the rear fog switch is mostly it works in conjunction with the front fog lights. What i mean is that when the headlights are off you have to turn the front fog lights on in order to turn on the rear fog lights but when the head lights are on the fogs both front and rear can be controlled independently. you can have rear fogs (or angel eyes) and no front fogs or you can run both. i didnt know this until after i bought the LCM... i usually run my front fogs all the time anyway so its not a big deal i just cant control it exactly as i wanted to.

Oh well. Ha Ha.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The OEM look is worth it IMHO. Maybe I can use my carPC to send the ibus signal to turn them on every time i turn on the car. thanks for the follow up!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts