E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local shop charges about $75 to replace, which isn't much but if it's that cheap than I might as well just replace it myself. I'm wondering if any of you guys here have replaced a knuckle before, if so what sort of DIY tutorial did you use? And what sort of equipment is required prior to taking it off and putting the new one on?

·
:D
7,274 Posts
What knuckle

·
7,274 Posts
you mean your wheel carrier/hub? Why are you replacing that? Your post makes no sense. Post up a picture of the exact part you're talking about.
+1

·
Registered
29,664 Posts
It was in an accident that caused it to be bent? Two shops already told me that I need to replace it in order to get my alignment done.
I think they're yanking your chain. Take it to another alignment shop. Play dumb and don't mention any knuckles. Unless a nuclear missle hit your front axle, i'm not sure how it could bend. Any visible damage to them? do they appear to be bent to the naked eye?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think they're yanking your chain. Take it to another alignment shop. Play dumb and don't mention any knuckles. Unless a nuclear missle hit your front axle, i'm not sure how it could bend. Any visible damage to them? do they appear to be bent to the naked eye?
I didn't know it was possible either. But I took it to another shop and I didn't even have to mention the knuckle to him. Like the last guy who I took it too, he said he couldn't complete the alignment because it was bent and I had to buy another one. Although it's a good thing this guy didn't even charge me for a job that was left unfinished, unlike the shop before him.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Dunno, they just told me I had to replace it. I could post a pic of what they said about it, but idk if it'll help.

Edit, heres what both of them said about it. The one on the bottom is the most recent one.

Sorry for the sideways shot.

·
7,274 Posts
Is he talking about the knuckle that holds the tie rod onto the wheel assembly?
How could you possibly replace that for $75? Labor would be like $200 and parts would be $300+

·
Registered
340 Posts
The tech is talking about your caster measurement being just a little out. As I recall, mine was not much better than yours at 4.9/5.0....I suspect that the control arms are more of a player in the caster.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
The tech is talking about your caster measurement being just a little out. As I recall, mine was not much better than yours at 4.9/5.0....I suspect that the control arms are more of a player in the caster.
Well the first guy I went for an alignment told me that I had to replace both my lower control arms and bushings. Didn't mention anything about the control arm itself.

Look you guys, I just simply need to know if theres a DIY floating around somewhere on replacing the knuckle. I've already searched around a couple forums and couldn't find anything yet and so i'm hoping that you guys would be able to help find one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.