E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the paint on one of the stereo control buttons on the 3-spoke steering wheel is worn through. can i just pop the switch assembly off without worrying about blowing the airbag? :dunno:

· 2 point five 3 two 3 i
4,543 Posts
first, disconnect the negative terminal on your battery.
then determining on the type of steering wheel/airbag:

standard with square/rectangle bag
or
sport with triangle bag
use a torx (I think that is what its called) screwdriver to remove the bag. screws are on the back of the wheel.

sport with round bag
there should be a slot in the back where you can stick a screwdriver in to release a spring that holds the bag in place.

from here I believe you should have access to the removing the control panels/buttons.
I hope this helps, if I have any part of this wrong someone correct me.

Oh, btw, I was at the dealer yesterday, my buttons on my sport wheel (triangle bag) were worn. the cost of one side was between $60-75.

· SBBMotorwerks
926 Posts
I have the triangle airbag, and my buttons were worn. I removed the buttons and repainted them to a gloss black (to match my trim). I lost the "decals" on the buttons, but i use them enough so i know what they are...i like the way it looks! Will try and post pics soon

· Registered
115 Posts
Thaison,

What kind/brand of paint did you use. I dont need the directional arrows to show, as I know the functions also:) Instead of spending $75 on the parts I would consider just painting them black to match the rest of the buttons finish.......At some point I'm sure I'll replace them, but in the meantime I would consider just painting them if that turns out ok. If you get a chance to post pics that would be sweet.

Ben

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.