E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the paint on one of the stereo control buttons on the 3-spoke steering wheel is worn through. can i just pop the switch assembly off without worrying about blowing the airbag? :dunno:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
don't know - how can you tell?

either way - how do you remove the airbag? sounds painfull already.. :(

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how can you tell the shape of the airbag?

·
Black and Proud
17,011 Posts
the shape of the steering wheel area where the airbag is in...

i think it's easier to ask... do you have the sports package 3 spoke steering wheel or the regular 4 spoke steering wheel?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'd like to know how this is done as well, my UP/DN arrows are worn through.....I have the 3 spoke Sport Wheel.

Thanks, Ben

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have the 3-spoke (sports package) steering wheel.

·
2 point five 3 two 3 i
3,789 Posts
first, disconnect the negative terminal on your battery.
then determining on the type of steering wheel/airbag:

standard with square/rectangle bag
or
sport with triangle bag
use a torx (I think that is what its called) screwdriver to remove the bag. screws are on the back of the wheel.

sport with round bag
there should be a slot in the back where you can stick a screwdriver in to release a spring that holds the bag in place.

from here I believe you should have access to the removing the control panels/buttons.
I hope this helps, if I have any part of this wrong someone correct me.

Oh, btw, I was at the dealer yesterday, my buttons on my sport wheel (triangle bag) were worn. the cost of one side was between $60-75.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so the bag will not go off as long as the neg. terminal is disconnected?

·
SBBMotorwerks
416 Posts
I have the triangle airbag, and my buttons were worn. I removed the buttons and repainted them to a gloss black (to match my trim). I lost the "decals" on the buttons, but i use them enough so i know what they are...i like the way it looks! Will try and post pics soon

·
Alpha Male
6,032 Posts
truwon said:

Oh, btw, I was at the dealer yesterday, my buttons on my sport wheel (triangle bag) were worn. the cost of one side was between $60-75.
Dennis I thought the were gonna warranty it for you?

·
2 point five 3 two 3 i
3,789 Posts
Clem said:

Dennis I thought the were gonna warranty it for you?
yup, they did! ;)
when I picked up my car yesterday, they priced out the parts they replaced.
window reg - $60
steering wheel control panel/buttons - $75 (one side)
:D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thaison,

What kind/brand of paint did you use. I dont need the directional arrows to show, as I know the functions also:) Instead of spending $75 on the parts I would consider just painting them black to match the rest of the buttons finish.......At some point I'm sure I'll replace them, but in the meantime I would consider just painting them if that turns out ok. If you get a chance to post pics that would be sweet.

Ben

1 - 15 of 15 Posts