E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all, :hi:

I have an 2000 323i sedan. I wanted to know which would sound best. a ported box or a sealed box for a single 12" MTX thunder 6000 sub. I am going with the single box to save trunk space. any suggestions or comments will be greatly appreciated. thanks :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Generally speaking a sealed box will be smaller than a vented box for the same woofer, so if you are looking to save space a sealed box might be the way to go. On the other hand you may be able to get a little higher SPL with the vented box. Lots more chances for error with vented boxes though. Have I thoroughly confused you?

·
Registered
7,605 Posts
listener said:
Generally speaking a sealed box will be smaller than a vented box for the same woofer, so if you are looking to save space a sealed box might be the way to go. On the other hand you may be able to get a little higher SPL with the vented box. Lots more chances for error with vented boxes though. Have I thoroughly confused you?
^^^^ What he said. Sealed box is smaller, easier to build, best for sound quality, lower bass frequency response, more controlled, tight bass. Ported is bigger (usually twice as big), louder and has a peaky freq response, with dips in the lower end and boost in "upper" bass. If you want more details on different types of boxes, check out my website: http://home.comcast.net/~customcarstereo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.