E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Boy Racer
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, we are taking my Dinan Intake off and now that we have it off we are trying to put my buddies 330 air box on my car and it wont fit. My car is a 325. Is there a difference between the two airboxes? Is it the AFM or just the reducer.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
The AFM and intake tube is a larger diameter. The, 330 airbox is physically the same as the 325 except for the opening attaching to the AFM. If you want to fit the 330 AFM to test, you should take the 330 intake tube after the AFM as well. The intake tube is in two pieces. Only take the first part after the AFM. The intake tube that attaches to the throttle is to hard to get off and back on anyway.

I have a couple of write-ups on AFM mod's, I'm real curious whether a 330-325 AFM mod is do-able. Please post results, this could be a great mod.

Jim Conforti say's you would need software like the shark injector if changing the AFM diameter. Let's see if he's right. The only thing is if you get a check engine light, you will need a OBD-II reader to reset the light or make a trip to the dealer to have it reset.

Dinan3XI said:
Hey guys, we are taking my Dinan Intake off and now that we have it off we are trying to put my buddies 330 air box on my car and it wont fit. My car is a 325. Is there a difference between the two airboxes? Is it the AFM or just the reducer.

·
Boy Racer
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well guys after a while of fidgeting and trying to put the 330 airbox on a 325 somehow we came out unsuccessful. I went to home depot to try to find a piece to connect the smaller AFM to the bigger intake inlet of the 330 and it did not work. I guess i will have to ship out the Dinan CAI and wait till the buyer sends me his 325 airbox. Till then i cant drive my car. BTW the uninstall of the Dinan CAI was very easy.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Why try to fit a 330 stock airbox to 325?

You won't be gaining that much since the physicall box is not different from the 325. The only difference should be the opening for the air intake should be larger. In which case you need to just take a 3" OD reducer and attach to the outside of the 325 mass air sensor. Cut the reducer flush to the lip edge of the mass air sensor. That should give the extra clearance to seal to the rubber ring seal of the 330 stock airbox. Basically you are adding a extra layer to thicken the AFM edge so that it fits into the airbox.

You see what I mean? You need a 3" outer diameter reducer not a 3" interior diameter. You can also try this trick with tape and a exacto knife!. Get some racing tape or electrical tape and go around the edge of the AFM until desired thickness. Then trim the excess tape with the exacto knife. Boom your done and don't have to wait to order a reducer.

You could also find a larger rubber "O" ring somewhere but I have no idea where to find one.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Also were you able to test the 330 AFM on the 325?

I would be curious if this works or not. You risk receiving a check engine light that would need to be reset if there was a fault. Simple to do if you have a OBDII reader.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts