E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've an 03 325Ci with stock halogen headlights. They each have the yellow sticker on the top and say something like American Lighting? maybe. Are these OEM?

For starters, while driving my lowbeams seemed dimmer on the passenger side than drivers side. So I got the $50 dollar silverstar bulbs hoping to remedy the problem.

That was money well spent as I had much more brighter light. However, it did nothing for my problem. Next step was pull up to brick wall and check the aiming. The passenger side beam had a "cut off" at the top, whereas the driver side was just a round beam cast upon the wall.

On high beam, both sides project a nice round beam upon a wall. So I decided to adjust using that beam. When I got the passenger side parallel to the drivers, I switched to lowbeam. My lowbeam on my passenger side was now a foot below my drivers beam.

So then I tried to level my lowbeams. Disregarding the "cut off" I did my best to put the passenger parallel to the drivers. When I hit the highbeams, the passenger side is now a foot below the drivers.

I am very perplexed. It seems if I level one beam, then the opposite beam (high vs low) is inversely off. The headlight assembly is not burnt, looks very much stock, have new bulbs of the same brand, and nothing is loose. Bulbs are correctly installed as well. What really bothers me is the "cut off" at the top of the lowbeam on the passenger side.

If I am looking at a new headlight assembly, is it my passenger side that I need? Any help or if anyone has had this problem is appreciated.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,845 Posts
I had and probably still have the same issue, OP. All I've been able to find is that they adjust together.

I did read one post saying that it is possible to switch the retaining rings on the lights and thus not have the bulbs oriented properly. That didn't seem quite right to me.

Anyway, for about a year, I had my low beam adjusted up a bit (just below where people flashed me) but my highs were basically useless, since they were so high. I've played around with the adjustment many times myself!

Only thing I can suggest is to doublecheck that the housing is level. Maybe there's something to this ring swapping issue...maybe not?

I was thinking of getting a super while halogen bulb...but then I read that it puts out less light even though it's brighter, which totally confused me so I decided to stay OE. You know anything about that?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe there's something to this ring swapping issue...maybe not?

I was thinking of getting a super while halogen bulb...but then I read that it puts out less light even though it's brighter, which totally confused me so I decided to stay OE. You know anything about that?
I thought the ring might have something to do with it, as that might would change the angle the beam is mounted? Have not tried it, but my rings match the drivers side, so im hesitant to even try. I would prefer to get it working by design, rather than resort... But if it saves 100 bucks, I might.

As far as the super white, I do notice that I don't see as much as my stock bulbs, but that they shine just as far as stock. So my theory on that is light output is possibly more, but it being a white light, reflectivity is different on the objects that are illuminated making the driver "see" things differently? Don't know if I made sense but I'm feeling light output (candlepower, candela, etc.) is the same or probably higher in the super high$ super white bulbs vs stock type, but that since the light is a different hue, less is seen.

I'm wondering if I just change out my passenger reflector, if that would be the answer. I dunno. Glad I'm not alone in the problem, Ive searched other forums as well and cannot find my problem.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,845 Posts
I've been using my drls to do the adjustment with...a very small defined circle to 'go off of' and it seems like that's the best I can do, because my pass side is not as clearly defined, it seems as my driver's side...

One key, I think, though, is getting on level ground, which is not easy to find!

Also, on the rings...the post I read said that it was possible to reverse them, though it would require some extra pushing to get the wrong tabs into the wrong housing. I'm pretty sure I paid good attention to see they were matched, but I might have another look now that I'm thinking about it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts