BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been to the dealer yesterday and had the 4 wheel alignment done the results are below. I went because my tyres had been worn away very quickly on the inside.
The rear left wheel cant get into spec so they did it as best as they could. They said that there may be a bent component but as it was the dealer it would cost more for them to have a look. I was wondering if anybody has any experience with this and if i have got a damaged component like a control arm or something?

Also today driving to work my steering wheel was violently shaking (over 30mph) like it was about to come off. Is this a balancing issue or could it be because of the alignment?

Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,356 Posts
Well, the easy answer is that something is defiantly up with your left rear suspension components. Your dealer is probably right on a bent component, but without seeing it..I don't want to really say "oh this part is broken". It sucks because if they didnt know what was damaged, they should have had a good idea when their tech was doing alignment on your car. I would recommend you take the car either back to the dealership or to a independent mechanic, pay for a diagnostics for the rear suspension, and replace the fault parts. Then you can get the car realigned.

As for the steering wheel shaking violently, my bet would be on unbalanced or improperly balanced wheels. Normally improper/unbalanced wheels will cause vibration. Your toe/camber being off is normally going to equate to your car pulling in one direction or another with a crooked steering wheel when you are trying to drive straight.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I'm not an expert with alignment at all, but search through jpr's threads, or ask him directly - he's kind of the resident alignment guru

GL!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ive got the workshop manager at the dealer to have a drive of my car and im just waiting on what thet have to say.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts