E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a lake under my carpet today. I dubbed it Lake Xi and will be submitting information to NatGeo. Anyone want to go for a swim?

After vacuuming the water up, the first 2 pictures are both sides of the rear floor. Notice the holes are completely rusted-out.

In the last pic: I assume I'm holding the remains of whatever grommet/plug/cap was covering said holes. Unfortunately, I cannot find this part on realoem.

Any help with he part # would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, I looked at that diagram but nothing points to that exact area. I'm just going to measure and look for a plug at a local store, then seal it with rtv.

It's appalling how much water was sitting there. The black mold which grew on areas of the foam also didn't help my blood pressure. :D

·
Registered
29,905 Posts
Yep, I looked at that diagram but nothing points to that exact area. I'm just going to measure and look for a plug at a local store, then seal it with rtv.

It's appalling how much water was sitting there. The black mold which grew on areas of the foam also didn't help my blood pressure. :D
may as well fill that section with soil and start a little garden

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
may as well fill that section with soil and start a little garden
I'm surprised no plants had popped-up earlier. I first noticed a wet mark near the floor mat plug a few years ago.....but just brushed it off. So, who knows how long these areas have been letting water inside.

I tested all 4 of the sunroof drains and those aren't clogged. I'll have to check the rear passenger vapor barrier seal, as I did the window regulator a couple years ago. But I highly doubt the water came from that.

Also, there was water under the rear seat (see picture). Really haven't found a definitive answer for that one. The sound insulation material in that area is completely deteriorated though, so I'll also be replacing that.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Also, there was water under the rear seat (see picture). Really haven't found a definitive answer for that one. The sound insulation material in that area is completely deteriorated though, so I'll also be replacing that.
If you find out an answer for the rear seat water I'm interested to know as well. I get moisture under there from time to time and I have yet to figure out where its coming from.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you find out an answer for the rear seat water I'm interested to know as well. I get moisture under there from time to time and I have yet to figure out where its coming from.
Will do. I'm keeping the carpet and seats out until it rains. Hopefully that might help identify the leak source. Or I just might take a hose to it and drench it, probably a better method.

I also felt quite a bit of water on the front passenger side and up onto the firewall. :censor: but the front carpet is a pain in the ass to remove! You have to take out the entire dash, which is something I have zero motivation to do. I'm going to cut it out instead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts