E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I came out of walmart and I noticed a leak coming under the hood passenger side...I checked my coolant level it's FULL, I drove it around then the temp meter SLOWLY rises to red ....before it hit red I pulled over :censor: my mechanic just replaced the gasket and engine block but I checked the oil cap and dipstick for signs of a blown gasket....they came out okay....I then waited for the engine to cool down then decided to remove the radiator cap and when I did the coolant burst violently like a volcano when that calmed down I decided to bleed it out ...when I did that hot steam streamed out of the bleeder cap for a steady 30 seconds. :facepalm: when I drove in circles I can see a stream of coolant hit the floor maybe a tubes?? The o ring on my radiator cap is good, the fans work , ac and heater works...my mechanic mentioned I need to change my o2 censors, would that be a factor of the overheating??? Any advice would help or PM me thanx. 2001 325ci

·
Registered
673 Posts
Sounds like heater hose broke. It could be the heater core but I figure you'd have more coolant inside the the car.

·
Registered
10,574 Posts
In the MIXING APPLES AND ORANGES DEPARTMENT,

Did you notice a puddle under the car that came from using the AC on your way to WallyMart?

You said you saw a puddle and checked the coolant level and it was okay, this would be true if the puddle was condensation off of the evaporator.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Did you notice a puddle under the car that came from using the AC on your way to WallyMart?

You said you saw a puddle and checked the coolant level and it was okay, this would be true if the puddle was condensation off of the evaporator.
I pulled into the parking spot and I alwayse look back at my car lol ...never noticed a puddle....when I came out I saw it coming from under the passenger side front tire...from where the lower radiator tube area....but no radiator light sign came on ...only the service light...then when car is in idle it will slowly rise to red within 2 minutes :cry:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I never turned on the AC or heater....I alwayse ride with windows down

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
I pulled into the parking spot and I alwayse look back at my car lol ...never noticed a puddle....when I came out I saw it coming from under the passenger side front tire...from where the lower radiator tube area....but no radiator light sign came on ...only the service light...then when car is in idle it will slowly rise to red within 2 minutes :cry:
A leak at the thermostat would also appear in the lower hose area.
Wait until it cools off - if it spews hot coolant when you take the cap off, you didn't wait long enough.
Fill it up, bleed the system and run the engine carefully to check for leaks.
If there are no leaks, a failed thermostat, or water pump is suspect, since you said the fans worked.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A leak at the thermostat would also appear in the lower hose area.
Wait until it cools off - if it spews hot coolant when you take the cap off, you didn't wait long enough.
Fill it up, bleed the system and run the engine carefully to check for leaks.
If there are no leaks, a failed thermostat, or water pump is suspect, since you said the fans worked.
Okay I will do that....thanx for the input, I'm also suspecting it could be the thermostat....I have not changed that out yet....my car has 128k auto trans....the expansion tank and radiator I replaced 1 years ago

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay I will do that....thanx for the input, I'm also suspecting it could be the thermostat....I have not changed that out yet....my car has 128k auto trans....the expansion tank and radiator I replaced 1 years ago
O yea and I noticed my mpg dropped from 17 mpg to 14 mpg lately.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quick update. I just bleed it ...I turned the key to position 2 , heat on highest temp on lowest speed, took bleed screw completely off along with radiator cap turned car on for 10 minutes until the coolant spilled air bubbles out bleeder , I put both caps back on and drove around the block :clap: no overheating now I just gotta wait till motor cools and put coolant in instead of water

·
Registered
673 Posts
Quick update. I just bleed it ...I turned the key to position 2 , heat on highest temp on lowest speed, took bleed screw completely off along with radiator cap turned car on for 10 minutes until the coolant spilled air bubbles out bleeder , I put both caps back on and drove around the block :clap: no overheating now I just gotta wait till motor cools and put coolant in instead of water
But how did the air get there? You said you had coolant on the floor, I assume you mean inside the car. Is that fixed? If you meant outside on the ground, I am leaning toward water pump or thermostat housing leak.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
But how did the air get there? You said you had coolant on the floor, I assume you mean inside the car. Is that fixed? If you meant outside on the ground, I am leaning toward water pump or thermostat housing leak.
I meant outside the car under the hood....it's weird I just bleed it for 30 minutes...and no more overheating, but I'm gonna pressure test it to be on the safe side...I forgot my mechanic changed my thermostat a year ago...along with water pump...I'll keep updated

·
Registered
673 Posts
No need to pressure test it. If it doesn't leak at operating temperature, then it doesn't leak.
Not true. A bad water pump seal will leak as the engine heats then cools at first. Won't leak cold as system hasn't developed enough pressure and when fully hot, expansion makes the seal tight, as the car cools it gets to a "sweet spot" where expansion is not enough to seal against the residual pressure in the system and it leaks. Eventually of course, the seal gets bad enough and it leaks all the time.
Do assume because the parts were changed recently, they can't fail. I have seen brand new thermostats and fan clutches that didn't work.
A hairline crack in the thermostat housing may also leak only when hot at first too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not true. A bad water pump seal will leak as the engine heats then cools at first. Won't leak cold as system hasn't developed enough pressure and when fully hot, expansion makes the seal tight, as the car cools it gets to a "sweet spot" where expansion is not enough to seal against the residual pressure in the system and it leaks. Eventually of course, the seal gets bad enough and it leaks all the time.
Do assume because the parts were changed recently, they can't fail. I have seen brand new thermostats and fan clutches that didn't work.
A hairline crack in the thermostat housing may also leak only when hot at first too.
Yep ...true indeed...I'm gonna check it anyways make sure there's no leaks didn't have time yet, my next day off

1 - 20 of 20 Posts