E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched all afternoon for a DIY, but can't seem to find what I need. I've never messed with wiring before, so this is my first time.

I have the SmartTire remote monitor tucked into the ashtray, but need to tap a power source. This system gets power from the cigarette lighter and has an auto off function. However, I want this to shut off when the car is off, and turn on when the car is on. Any help is really appreciated. TIA

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
7,683 Posts
you could do it this way if you can't figure anything better

http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~lleong/vdo_install/final_wiring/index.html

But I would recommend finding an existing connector as that is sort of lame. Isn't the cig lighter switched? I think that is where I hooked up my gauges. Sorry I don't remember but there are a ton of un-used connectors in that area so if the cig lighter is not switched then use a multi-meter to test. I would recommend using a pin, push it into the end of the connector and then hook the multi-meter to that.

It is really easy.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nick

Yah it's worth it. Especially if you're on the road a lot. Check out this link, if you haven't already. Notice the alerts that display. Super easy to program!
NickACS said:
Was thinking about getting this unit with my new rims this week..

Wondering if its worth it? :)

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Re: Nick

toddv said:
Yah it's worth it. Especially if you're on the road a lot. Check out this link, if you haven't already. Notice the alerts that display. Super easy to program!
Nice..thanks..
Is it possible to fit the Full Remote Display in the ashtray next to the cig lighter? That's the only place where I would think of putting it...TIA :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nick

That's where I installed mine. It's just a tad too tall to slide in, but it'll fit in the storage bin above if you have one. Getting back to the tray, I pulled the tray and used a dremel to help it fit ;) I loaned my camera to a friend for the weekend, otherwise I'd post a picture. I'll let you know when I have one though.
NickACS said:
Is it possible to fit the Full Remote Display in the ashtray next to the cig lighter? That's the only place where I would think of putting it...TIA :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
David

Check out the link in my reply to Nick. This system allows you to set thresholds for high/low tire pressure and temperature. If the threshold is exceded, an alarm sounds while the display shows you the problem tire and the alarm item (ie, temp or pressure). I believe the OEM doesn't show you the actual pressure/temp. I'd requested info on the OEM version a while back, and most people said that the flat light would come on, but nothing was wrong with the tire. This was probably due to pressure changes during cornering, etc. SmartTire will actually display the PSI. For the past couple weeks, I've had a bum tire, so I was constantly worried about it. This monitor would allow me to select the tire to monitor and I could watch the readings as I drove. Pretty cool! Here's another thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42332

David328Ci said:
How is this tire pressure monitor different from the flat tire monitor that comes OEM from the factory.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Re: Nick

toddv said:
That's where I installed mine. It's just a tad too tall to slide in, but it'll fit in the storage bin above if you have one. Getting back to the tray, I pulled the tray and used a dremel to help it fit ;) I loaned my camera to a friend for the weekend, otherwise I'd post a picture. I'll let you know when I have one though.
Ok, thanks Todd..Yea, I'd be very interested to see it fit in the ashtray :) Where did you re-locate the main unit? Just curious..Thanks!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nick

Didn't yet. I'll tuck it under the console tomorrow. I'm planning to keep it accessible though, as the remote unit and the power cord are both plugged into the main unit (remove face from main unit and plug remote into socket; power source plugs into the rear of the main unit). I'm not so much worried about the remote socket as much as I am the power cord. It doesn't really click in. It may be ok, as long as it's not being bumped around :dunno:
NickACS said:
Where did you re-locate the main unit? Just curious..Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts