BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got a link to a DIY on changeing the fuel filter? Its for my 04 330ci. I know theres some on here. Appreciate the help in advance

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
It's very simple. Remove cover and loosen hose clamps. Carefully pull off hoses. Remember which line goes where. Fuel will leak out considerably so catch it with a glass jar or other static free container. Install new filter, tighten clamps. If needed replace old vacuum hose rubber. Reinstall shield cover.

·
Registered
800 Posts
ya...

You might want to pull out the fuel pump fuse, start the engine until it quits a couple times.

The fuel line may be pressurized.... Pulling the fuse and starting will de-pressurize it.

Tie shop rags around your forearms. Wear glasses.

Probably will need a dental tool to slide under and all around the hoses so they pull off much easier. Might need a pliers or Channel-lock to grab and pull.

Take a pic of the old setup so you know which lines go where.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
You might want to pull out the fuel pump fuse, start the engine until it quits a couple times.

The fuel line may be pressurized.... Pulling the fuse and starting will de-pressurize it.

Tie shop rags around your forearms. Wear glasses.

Probably will need a dental tool to slide under and all around the hoses so they pull off much easier. Might need a pliers or Channel-lock to grab and pull.

Take a pic of the old setup so you know which lines go where.
This is a biggie. Long story short I was rinsing my eyes out with the hose for what felt like an eternity.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Just finished replacing the fuel filter in my 330i. Here are some pointers:

1. Blue line goes to the center tube off the fuel filter. If you cant start the car after, you attached it wrong. Sorry bud! (How do I know this??)
2. Pull fuse. Hardly any, less than a liter, of gas spillage.
3. That lil vacuum line is fragile. Dont pull too hard on it. It will break. Mine didnt but I coaxed it out.
4. All in all not a bad DIY at all. I replaced the 5 clamps that need to be removed. Didnt pull the skid plate off, just bent it back. It doesn't break. Welll mine didn't, but I have zero rust too. (Texas car)
5. Hate those stock clamps. No way you can reuse them easily. Do yourself a big favor, get some clamps!!

Oh...and don't smoke while your doing this job. (Just a tip)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts