E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I'm hookin up my JL 500/1 Amp and have a dilemna. I tapped a switched 12V *********** wire in the rear of the trunk going into the HK amp and ran this wire to the remote port on the back of the JL amp. However, my amplifier install kit (that I purchased at Best Buy) has a thin black ground wire. Where do I attached this to (on the amp?? on the white wire?) Do I tap the 12V wire twice with wire taps and just use the black for a ground??

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
You have 3 power connections - +12V, switched 12V and a ground. You get the +12V from the pos terminal of the battery. You can get the switched 12V from the wire you described. Double check the lead from the HK amp if you have an aftermarket HU. Then a ground that is connected to the chassis of the car. You can use one of the subframe bolts between the floor and the tail light.

Sounds like your amp kit is substandard. You power and ground leads should be at least 8 ga.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jae....

I figured it out...the thin ground wire was a ground for the remote turn on if I had run it from the head unit....I got everything hooked up and it seems to be working fine

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.