E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help guys I just sold my 320CI and am looking for another Bimmer (What else)
At first I was thinking of a 330CI but I just seen a 1998 E36 M in as new condition Estroil Blue fully optioned with low miles and full full BMW warranty the E36 is less expensive than a new 330CI but I am worried about a used Bimmer especially a M.
Does anyone know of problems to look out for on an E36 M Coupe

·
Sponsor
90 Posts
Considering that an Australian spec E36 M3 will have the S50B32, you are looking at a motor with more frequent maintenance intervals than a 330, and those valve adjustments aren't cheap.

As I have said before, the E36 and the E46 are substantial different cars. If you're used to an E46, you may have a hard time moving backward.

If you are seriously considering this car, write to me privately and I can help you sort out some of the basic pre-purchase inspection items.

- -Matt, E36 and E46 owner

·
Mod Squad
9,999 Posts
I can't really compare the e36 M3 to an e46, but I can compare an e36 325i to an e46 330ci. Main things that should be common to an M3 and an e36 325i are what I'll list. The main thing I've noticed is the clutch is about a million times softer on an e46. I hoped back in the 325i the other day, and thought I was gonna have to use two legs to push in the damn clutch! The e46 clutch almost feels like an on/off switch (but I assume I will get used to it). Another thing is the steering, like the clutch, it feels a lot different. In the e36 everything feels a bit more direct, more natural, it's hard for me to explain, I guess you have to drive 'em both to get a real feel. One more major difference is when I aggressively stomp on the throttle in the e46, there seems to be a delay of some sort, it's not instantaneous like in the e36 without any drive by wire stuff. Now with only my e36 325i as a measuring stick, with all the little gripes/differences I've mentioned above, there ain't a chance in HELL that I'd go back on my purchase of the 330Ci!!! I know I'm not comparing to an M3, but I hoped it helped, and if I wasn’t drinking already, I’d be finished with this already:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts