BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 BMW M3 coupe...the car runs great but I had noticed that auxiliary fan would constantly be running at full speed no matter if the car was hot or cold, or if the car was on or off. The way I circumvented this situation is I would takeout the fuse when I was done using the car or when it was cold outside and I wasn’t using the heat or AC I didn’t need the fan on.

However, it looks like now the fan has completely stopped working no matter if the fuse is in there or not. I even tried swapping with another fuse to make sure that the fuse didn’t go bad.

So my issue is, did the fan completely get burned out and I will need to replace it with another one? I pretty much cant drive the car anymore because if I try to drive it and the car stays idle for a few minutes, it overheats.

I also hooked it up using a code reader and I don’t see any codes pop up which isn’t helpful.

I need some advice from the members here, do you think the whole fan went bad? Should I buy a new fan and replace it? I heard the job is a pain in the ass since you have to remove the full bumper to access the fan and the fan itself is very expensive (around $600 bucks).

FYI I had already replaced the coolant temp sensor thinking that might be the issue but that never fixed the problem with the fan constantly staying on.

Any advice on how I should proceed would be helpful! Thanks for everyone’s help as always

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
126 Posts
Question - besides the fan running all of time did you have any other symptoms - oil temp on low end etc.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Question - besides the fan running all of time did you have any other symptoms - oil temp on low end etc.

No other issues other than fan running all of the time. Why do you think this is related to something else ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mmm, it could be a bad fan relay switch. That is much better than replacing the whole fan. There are some tests on the internet that you can use to troubleshoot. Mine runs a lot too but I am getting low oil temp on the highway. I would have told you to just leave it alone unless it is running when you turn the car off

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mmm, it could be a bad fan relay switch. That is much better than replacing the whole fan. There are some tests on the internet that you can use to troubleshoot. Mine runs a lot too but I am getting low oil temp on the highway. I would have told you to just leave it alone unless it is running when you turn the car off

Unfortunately it runs when I turn the car off too. I believe that’s why the fan stopped running cuz I forgot to take the fuse out and it may have burned the motor for the fan. Do you know how I can test the fan really switch ?

Also I’m guessing even replacing the fan really switch will require me to take the whole bumper off ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ok, for testing you will need to google the internet. The switch is about 65 and I am talking about the relay on top of your radiator. It activates the fan so you would not have to take off the bumper. The aux fan you are talking about requires removing the bumper and costs about 500. Google the internet for aux fan running all the time, several folks have had that problem and that can help you figure it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts