E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been putting off completing my system for awhile and I need to get this done soon or I'm going to go out of my mind.

Here's my situation - I've got my front speakers installed but need to figure out what to do about the rear and/or trunk, and what amp or amps to get. *Here's what I'm working with (this is in a BMW 330Ci if that makes a difference, with a pioneer f700 something head unit). *I listen to all kinds of music, rock & hip hop (to be vague) but I don't need crazy window rattling bass- I do like to feel it though.

I've got Polk SR5250's installed in the front, I like how they sound in my car.

On the rear deck, currently there's nothing. *I like the clear soundstage from having just the front speakers, but I'm open to suggestions. *I've got a pair of diamond audio S500's that I can put in the rear, or a pair of 6.5" Kicker*CVT65 subwoofers.

I've been using an infinity basslink in the trunk but the trunk is really well insulated so I don't really get the punch I want (& I know it's not the greatest sub anyway). *I would like some more upper bass/low mids to come through. *I think when I get the polks in the front mounted to the actual door as opposed to the stock speaker mounts it will help, but still.

So the amp I was using to power the fronts died, and the basslink isn't working for some reason.

I want to spend less than $600 - what do you suggest? *Should I:

A) leave the rear deck empty & just get an amp for the front speakers and a more powerful subwoofer setup for the trunk

B) put the diamonds in the rear deck, get a 4 channel amp for front & rear, and a decent sub in the trunk

C) put the 6.5" kickers in the rear deck with a 4 channel amp running those and the fronts (is it advisable to run the front speakers and 6.5" subs from the same 4ch amp?), and a decent sub in the trunk*

With my budget in mind, what would be the most effective? *I think I'm leaning towards C because I think subs (even though small) inside the car would help with the lower mids/upper bass punchiness.

Any gear suggestions in my price range? *Used/classified/eBay prices are fine.

I want to get this done as soon as possible so hopefully someone can help me out quickly - any suggestions on any of my questions would be greatly appreciated. *Thanks so much!

·
Registered
607 Posts
C) put the 6.5" kickers in the rear deck with a 4 channel amp running those and the fronts (is it advisable to run the front speakers and 6.5" subs from the same 4ch amp?), and a decent sub in the trunk*

You will need an active cross over to send the proper frequency to the component subs so you don't destroy them.

B) put the diamonds in the rear deck, get a 4 channel amp for front & rear, and a decent sub in the trunk

Do this.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I might be mistaken but I'm pretty sure 6.5" won't fit being the factory speakers are very shallow. I was told to replace the fronts and rears with 5.25".

I'm on a budget too. So I'm doing kicker ks 5.25" front and rear to an amp then the factory 2.5"s and tweeters to an aftermarket deck. Then jl audio 12w1 in the trunk. Oh also doing pioneer deck with steering wheel control adapter. Everything was about $1000 not bad for a pretty damn good system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts