E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 coupe the car started stalling and then check engine came on, i check the codes in auto zone they told me the oxygen sensors both pre cat was bad i change both did'nt fix the problem so far this is all i have done cleaned the maf sensor ,cleaned the idle control valve, changed 2 pre cat oxygen sensor,changed spark plugs. i checked the codes this morning and this is what i got (p0305,p0130,p0301,p0150,p0173) i know p0130 and p0150 are for the sensors and p0305,p0301 is a misfire. can anyone help me sort out this problem thank you in advance

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
None of the codes you have would result in stalling.

The misfire could be the result of a bad MAF sensor. You would need a diagnostic tool that can read the live data from the sensors to know this for sure.

My kid bought an '00 323 that was throwing the codes you had. She had no drivability issues though. I worked on the car for most of the day on Saturday, and part of the day on Sunday, and on Monday I took the car to the shop I use when I work on Saturday and Sunday and still can't figure the problem(s) out. Anyhow, the shop has a better tool than I have, and it told him that the MAF had a short to ground.

The P0170 and P0173 (along with the P1188 and P1189) are codes that report that the Fuel Mixture is wrong and uncontrollable. They come from wide swings in the values of the O2 Sensors, which will eventually report as P0130 and P0150. Since the quality of the air is an unknown (and a wildly changing unknown at that) due to the lies being told by the MAF, then the fuel delivery will be all over the place, and if lean enough will cause too little contribution of the affected cylinder(s) to the workload, and the low contribution will be reported as a misfire.

You need to understand that the misfire does not come from the lack of spark, but rather from the lack of workl. The crank is spinning and doing the stuff that it does. If the spark that is generated does not produced the expected contribution to this work, then it is reported as a misfire. If the fuel load on that particular spark cycle is low, then the work will also be low. The O2 sensor will also see the lean condition, but since the MAF is lying through its teeth, the lean could be on the heels of the previous cycle that was rich, and the [email protected] sensor would then report the all-over-the-ballpark conditions as a sensor error, P0130 and P0150 because in isolation the O2 sensor(s) can not have the wild swings that it(they) sees, and therefore since it(they) sees the swings then it(they) must be broken.

The MAF is considered to be an Upstream Device -- it happens at the beginning of the journey of the air and fuel through the engine. The upstream failure can and will affect the performance of the downstream components.

My guess is that the stalling and driveability problems will be sourced in a P0340, Intake Cam Position Sensor error. Basically, I think you have two problems, the MAF and the intake cam sensor. You need a diagnostic tool that can read the real-time values of these components to be sure.

Maybe the Peake guy will jump in here and confirm or deny that his tools have the capacity. I just don't know. I have an OBD II scanner that does not read this stuff live, but I know they make them that can read live.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I am having a very similar problem. Just got my 323ci yesterday and knew it needed some tlc. I will post with my findings asap. My car specs: 2000 323ci verto 105k miles all stock. the problem stalling at low idle, stopping, when cranking ect. and seems like it has 2hp until mid revs when it picks up. Runs smooth otherwise

·
Registered
146 Posts
Maybe the Peake guy will jump in here and confirm or deny that his tools have the capacity. I just don't know. I have an OBD II scanner that does not read this stuff live, but I know they make them that can read live.
Can I give you access to our 'bat signal' spotlight? :)

While our tools will not read live data, you may find a more direct answer with the factory codes than with the generic OBDII faults.

One of the common complaints with generic tools and the resulting codes is that the symptoms don't always match the faults.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
2 things cause engine stalling.
a) Camshaft position sensor
b) MAF sensor
Most likely MAF cause engine stalling, so if you have anyone who has 323/325(pre-facelift)/328, try their MAF on your car.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
thanks guys for the fast replay seems like i have a bad sensor, i cleaned it again with crc maf sensor cleaner and compressed air then the car was running better, since i don't know anyone with a 323 to test it i will have to order one
Spending over $300 for MAF sensor is waste of money..
I'd look for used part with low mileage. I got mine with $125, less than 15k miles.
Try one of these guys

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=744148&highlight=maf+323

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=757548&highlight=maf

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=758563&highlight=maf

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=759983&highlight=maf

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
ok here is an update, i checked the maf sensor with my neighbors friends car and the maf sensor was fine, then i notice that my engine was louder than his so i decided to check for leaks and found one of the small hose that connects to the crank case valve (ccv) it was cracked. so today i changed everything all hoses and ccv cleaned the icv clean the throttle body everything took me around 5 or 6 hrs but now the car is like new

1 - 7 of 7 Posts