BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, ive been having a lot of trouble with my 2004 330ci and i was hoping to get some insight on what to do. One day after school about 2 weeks ago, the car failed to start and just kept cranking. I waited about 5 minutes and tried again and it started perfectly. For the next 2 weeks the car had been failing to start intermittently, and when it did start it cranked at least 5 or 6 times which is more than normal. The car would also sputter quite a bit while accelerating, however the idle was perfectly fine. I suspected i had a clogged fuel filter, so i changed that and it ran perfectly for about two days before it died on the side of the road. The car has failed to start ever since. At first it would start and then stall immediately, however now it just cranks and won't turn over. The strange thing is that it doesn't try to start at all. I put in a brand new fuel pump and swapped the horn and fuel pump relay and still no luck. If anyone has any idea what the problem could be, it would be of huge help. I'd like to avoid taking the car to the dealership unless absolutely necessary because you guys know how expensive these cars can get.

Thanks,
Jon

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Charge your battery to 12.6volts

Verify FP is priming with ignition turned on.

Crank your car with the gas pedal held to the floor.

Let's us know how these suggestion work for you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thank you for the response. I can confirm that the pump is priming correctly. I will make sure i have full voltage and try cranking it with the gas pedal held down when i get access to the car later today

·
Registered
42 Posts
I jumped the battery after it died trying to start the car so many times. Fuel pump is priming. Car will not start with gas held to floor. I used an obd code reader and found no codes on the car. Anybody have suggestions?

·
// Quandt AG (Retired) //
3,683 Posts
I jumped the battery after it died trying to start the car so many times. Fuel pump is priming. Car will not start with gas held to floor. I used an obd code reader and found no codes on the car. Anybody have suggestions?
Get a BMW specific scanner (I.e. PA Soft BMW Scanner 1.4 for less than $25) - it may be a BMW specific module component that is causing you issues.

the engine needs fuel, air and a spark to start - one or more is missing or not in the right amount. If a sensor is shot BMW scanner will let you know.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Take out your spark plugs. See if they are dirty or wet.

Check fuel pressure at the fuel rail to verify fuel and pump pressure.

Verify what voltage you see at the +B terminal under the hood.

·
Premium Member
28,968 Posts
$3 can of Starting Fluid at the auto parts store. 2 second spray burst into the MAF opening. See if the engine kicks or starts and dies. If it you get life with starting fluid, there is a lack of fuel.

How much fuel is in the tank now?

Does the tach move to 100-150 RPM while cranking?

See this video - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8bhu1rogj8ufh2m/AAAbpbBK2AVE0rJdOzYVu42da?dl=0

1 - 7 of 7 Posts