E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so my car is a 2001 bmw 330 i 5spd manual, standard transmission. My rear shocks were toast so i ordered bilstein hd rear shocks as well as meyle hd rear shock mounts and an install kit{dust boots and bump stops}. my issues are that Both the shock mounts and install kit say e36, from what i could find i believe they interchange from e36 to e46 but not 100% on that. My biggest issue is after installing everything and taking a test drive i bottom out in the back like crazy! after checking all my part #'s i come to realize that they sent me rear shocks for an e36 as well{bilstein hd part # 24-027243} when i need the one for an e46 330i{part # 24-026970/be3-2697}

turner motor sports has this listed for my car

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-2040-bilstein-heavy-duty-rear-shock-e46-323i-325i-328i-330i.aspx

while this is what bavauto has listed for my car

Showing products for 2001 330i.

Bilstein street shocks will give you an unparalleled combination of comfort and control when paired with BMW springs. Thanks to a patented oil and nitrogen gas design, Bilstein shocks reduce body roll to deliver exceptional road handling and cornering stability. They also reduce wear and tear on steering and suspension components and increase tire life by dampening wheel movements on the roughest roads and in the tightest corners. Superior design, precision manufacturing and attention to quality are Bilstein's high-pressure gas street shocks are known as the world's top performing street shocks. Lifetime warranty. NOTE: Shocks should be replaced in pairs. Hydraulic and gas shocks should not be combined on the same vehicle.

Same as BE3 2697 and BE5 2724

Part Number Description Price Qty.
24-027243
Bilstein Rear Shock - Heavy Duty

$ 92.95

so are these the same as bavauto claims and every other site{summitracing, pelican parts, turner motorsports, ecs tuning,etc} are incorrect in saying that the ones bavauto sent me are incorrect application for my vehicle? also bavauto states that any part that has been installed cannot be returned. i will be calling them today, as well as i have sent emails as soon as i found all this out, i meant its supposed to 20% stiffer then oem, but its like i never changed them from the worn out ones that were on it prior.:banghead:

·
Premium Member
28,953 Posts
The biggest issue is if you have Sport suspension, which have lowered springs and do require shorter shocks and the bump stops usually have to be cut to match the ones that were on the car.

You could also search RealOEM and compare E36 to E46 part numbers as well.

HD should be full height shocks?? but you really need to compare the shocks side by side. Check the overall tube heights as well as the fully compressed shock height.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update*

Well bavarion auto assured me there the right shicks and said they would correct the issue if the shocks arent functioning properly, spoke with allen and he said he would get everything fixed for me last monday, didnt hear from him so I called and got bob this time and gave me some runaround about it and said there not responsibke for it and that I have to call bilstein about it

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Bimmer App

1 - 3 of 3 Posts