E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried using the diy in the diy section and every other decent diy for interior trim removal, but everyone can't seem to take good pictures or explain properly how to remove the trim off of the door for sht. I've already broken two clips and the ones where there is supposedly a "vertical piece of plastic" behind it won't budge.

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,776 Posts
I've tried using the diy in the diy section and every other decent diy for interior trim removal, but everyone can't seem to take good pictures or explain properly how to remove the trim off of the door for sht. I've already broken two clips and the ones where there is supposedly a "vertical piece of plastic" behind it won't budge.
The clips cost maybe a quarter...so if you break them...and you will anyway...new ones are cheap...and the dealer will have them in stock.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses but I'm not talking about the clips that hold the door card to the rest of the door. The clips I'm talking about are the ones that hold the two halves of the armrest together: the black lower half from the upper trim half.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Breaking the clips seems to be unavoidable. Pulling the pieces apart is a real b**ch. I broke a few as well, but the pieces fit so tightly together, that it hasn't been a problem since reassambly.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Breaking the clips seems to be unavoidable. Pulling the pieces apart is a real b**ch. I broke a few as well, but the pieces fit so tightly together, that it hasn't been a problem since reassambly.
But how did you unclip the ones on the inside of the assembly. I can't even get them to budge.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea I got the leather pad off of the armrest. So you're saying that the clips are released from under where the leather pad clips in? The diys I was looking at yesterday claimed that they are released from the side that attaches to the rest of the door card.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am assuming you have removed the entire arm rest assembly from the door.

They don't budge. To separate the wood and plastic pieces, I pulled with steady pressure and carefully inserted a screwdriver or a putty knife between the wood and plastic pieces to keep them apart as I pulled them apart. You might even consider sticking wood shims between the pieces as you get them separated.

Otherwise the pieces will continually go back together as you pull them apart. I also tried sticking a screwdriver under some of the tabs as I pulled but that was not particularly effective. Getting the pieces to start separating and then pulling them apart with steady, firm pressure seems to release the inside tabs - eventually.

Just be careful not to gouge the wood or plastic when inserting screwdrivers or putty knives and pull with steady, firm pressure. You will have to pull hard. They will come apart. I did break some of the plastic tabs when separating the wood piece from the plastic piece, but it does not seem to have affected them when I reassembled.

Now, getting the pieces realigned and put back togeher. That's another story altogether.

·
Registered
607 Posts
my god........what a pain in the ass. Never again...Never again will I separate those two pieces. I definitely broke a couple things when I pulled those two apart

·
Registered
473 Posts
So it can be done. I took my armrests off last summer to wrap them because my wood trim had cracks in the clearcoat. I must have sat there for like an hour trying to figure out if they even came apart to begin with. I didn't end up wrapping them because I thought it would look like sh!t since the wrap wouldn't go all the way under the trim where they met, it would just be cut off with a razor blade or something. So I just masked it all off and painted it.

Now I need to redo it all because I guess with all the cold weather, I have cracks in the paint. Guess I'll put this on my "to do" list...along with everything else.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts