BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have owned my 2001 325ci for about 3 mounths now and a couple days ago i noticed a rattle coming fro underneath the car.. it sometimes rattles at idle but hte most annoying part is it rattles everytime at 2000rpm it will only rattle once that car has been drivin or running for a while.. i was wondering if anyone had the same problem and how to fix it thank you for you hel

brian

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Cat?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply guys... when i was under the car yesterday it sounded liek it was coming from above the metal shield under the car... thaught it might have been the aluminum heat stuff running along side the egshut but later that night started again idk what else it can be besides the heat shield on the cats... this happen to anyone else??? your help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
When your cat goes back it usually starts to rattle. Also check all the exhausts heat shields under the car.

·
Registered
908 Posts
So it's coming from the engine? I know on our 528 there was a rattle from these plates that ran along side of the block. It looked like a shielding for the fuel injectors. I say grab some gloves and start feeling around a little and you might notice somethings just loose. Good luck!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the heat shields are not touching eghust pipes at all is it possible that it is vibrating on something else???? also did you mean when your cats go bad??? if it is the heat shield weled to the cats is it possible to remove them i know that i had a problem liek this on my jetta and all i did was remove the heat sheld???:banghead:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the reply guys im going to put the car on the lift tomarrow and see waht i find ill post results after i solve this annoying problem

1 - 9 of 9 Posts