BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
oK, driving down the hiway yesterday, went to downshift to pull ahead of a car and I heard a thump, and then my clutch had no resistance, and I would have to force gears into place. When I stopped at a light I would have to force it into 1st, and when I would start to drive it would shake...once I am going the car revs, and seems to drive perfectley.......did I blow my clutch, or tranny???

Mike

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
clutch. did if feel as if you were losing power at top end before it happened?
No, i did not feel that. One thing that has been happening for a while though is when I come to a stop,, and press the cluth to coast to stop there was always a "thud" ??

Mike

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
That "thud" might have been your clutch calling it quits. Sorry to hear that. This is just a blessing in disguise! Now its time to upgrade! We carry all the major brands. Let me know if I can help you out!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That "thud" might have been your clutch calling it quits. Sorry to hear that. This is just a blessing in disguise! Now its time to upgrade! We carry all the major brands. Let me know if I can help you out!
Hmm, Inhope so man. Tranny would be a nightmare!! Ya, I was thinking upgrade time. What do you think, and if tomorrow after I get it into my bimmer mech (closed today, holiday here in canada) how fast can you get one here..because that is wht it will boil down to ..how fast someone can ship one here to Calgary,Alberta.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Its your clutch, i know same thing happen to me.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yep sound like the clutch to me. How much does a clutch replacement cost anyway from a good independent shop? i alreay know the dealer would rape you!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep sound like the clutch to me. How much does a clutch replacement cost anyway from a good independent shop? i alreay know the dealer would rape you!
Ya no S$#% I am scared to take it there. I know a retired head BMW mech that I use and want to use ..but hes always busy, (go figure, bad ass bmw mech busy) and I cant even think about 1 day without my bimmer.....so I might take it to BMW eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee wish me luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
**update** Clutch

Thanks guys you were right on! I am in canada, and our parts are frickin insane, but I need this on the road now. Check these prices out...

Canada: Clutch Kit : 814.00
Flywheel : 1275.00
Labour : 850.00
Grande total : 2939.00 !!!!

If I was to wait until Tues for parts then thursday, before it was installed

U.S Clutch (luk) : 475.00
Flywheel (luk) : 575.00
Overnight shipping : 150.00 (july 4th tomorrow, so couldnt get shipped till mon)
Canada labour : 850.00

Total: 2050.00

I just couldnt wait until thursday for my M.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
yep. The mech I use charges 95.00 hour, hes the most expensive in Calgary, but the best!! He was head mech at BMW for years and years. Had hack jobs before from 75/hr mechs. It does take 6-8 hours to install a clutch in an M3 you know:cry:

Its the parts that kicked the crap out me!!!!:banghead: And Icould have got them cheapr from the states but some holiday ruined it for me..ha..JK ..we just had the same holiday here Tues, its our "July 4th" "Canada Day"

so you paid 3 grand for a clutch/flywheel and labor? :eek:

·
Registered
46 Posts
is it a must to replace the flywheel when you replace the clutch??? cant you just turn it at the machine shop?/// just wondering.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
is it a must to replace the flywheel when you replace the clutch??? cant you just turn it at the machine shop?/// just wondering.
Ya, I was thinking that, but the drivetrain has 110k miles on it, clutch never replaced, the engine is brand new with 1200 miles, so its probabley time to replace the flywheel anyway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts