BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to pay someone to look into my car. I did an MS43 swap and I'm having CANbus code, high idle, no cruise control and rev hang in between shifts. I think it's a module issue or a communication between module issue. I'm willing to pay someone who is good with INPA or other software because I've wasted a month now playing with this. Thank you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could probabky get some good advice if you can share the year/model E46, and any other mods to the system.
I've made a couple threads about my issues and bumped a few but no solid answers yet, which is why I just want a knowledgable coder to look into it. But I'll repost my issues here.

Started with a fully functional 2004 330i manual. Swapped the ECU and relevant harnesses for MS43 with a SpecE46 tune+EWS delete from Epic Motorsports using an ECU from an automatic car. Upon startup I noticed a. high idle (1100-1200rpm) and rev-hang between shifts... like the throttle wasn't fully closing or the ICV was staying open. Also noticed that the cruise control doesn't turn on. These things point to the ECU still having automatic trans adaptations on it.

I tried to reset adaptations (must be done in the car, EPIC couldn't do it on the bench) but I'm getting a D9 Canbus timeout error, and all software I've tried errors out during adaptation reset. I think my problem is two-fold... the ECU adaptations, and a CANbus issue. I need someone to check a few things like are my modules still coded right (ABS, ZKE, etc) for a manual car. Does the ECU receive the clutch switch signal because some people have pointed to that, and any other thing that can be done to determine where the D9 code is coming from. I don't have any reason to suspect that there is a physical wiring issue with CANbus but I need to rule out the coding.

EDIT: Looking through your sig, you look like just the guy I need! I'll PM you.

·
Here to serve y’all
2004 330Ci 85k miles
11,100 Posts
I’d guess that the AT ($205) option code was not removed from the donor MS43 DME. Should be as simple as using NCS Expert to load the vehicle order (FA) from the AKMB then code the DME.

Which year/model E46 did your donor MS43 come from? Need to see if it is ZCS (old style) or FA (new style).

Looks like this thread documents the harness/wiring changes needed for this DME swap. Have those already been done on your 2004 330Ci?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’d guess that the AT ($205) option code was not removed from the donor MS43 DME. Should be as simple as using NCS Expert to load the vehicle order (FA) from the AKMB then code the DME.

Which year/model E46 did your donor MS43 come from? Need to see if it is ZCS (old style) or FA (new style).

Looks like this thread documents the harness/wiring changes needed for this DME swap. Have those already been done on your 2004 330Ci?
The DME came from a 330ci automatic production Nov 19, 2002. It was probably in the changeover months where it was MS43 but had MS45 coil harness?

Correct, my car came with a MS43 ignition harness and valve cover and a MS43 engine harness. I bought a new transmission/O2 sensor harness from BMW for a manual (same as auto but without auto connectors and with reverse light)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To update and closeout this thread, BaliDawg was able to remote to my laptop, run NCSExpert (after reinstalling a different version on my computer) and use the options codes that were stored in my cluster that didn't have the automatic code, and recode the whole car, including the ECU, with that information. This solved the D9 CAN/EGS communication code. From there we were able to reset all adaptations and the rev-hang between shifts was cured! He was a huge help, spent over 30 mins with me. He is most definitely a huge asset to this community!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts