E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HELLO ALL....I've been trying to replace my oil filter housing gasket this past weekend and I've ran into a big problem... the damn alternator bolt :censor:
I've removed all the bolts except for the 16mm long bolt on the bottom. I can turn the bolt with a breaker all day (I know it's turning) but the bolt doesn't show any indication of coming lose.
Lost, agitated, need help lol

Attachments

·
Registered
29,904 Posts
So it turns but doesn't pop out sideways? maybe the threads are stripped and its not being held by anything but friction. try wedging a screwdriver between

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply! Tried the suggestions, no luck yet:banghead: I've had to deal with stripped bolts but never this. Btw there is no nut behind the bolt (see pic). Anymore suggestions would GREATLY APPRECIATED

Attachments

·
Registered
807 Posts
Thanks for the reply! Tried the suggestions, no luck yet:banghead: I've had to deal with stripped bolts but never this. Btw there is no nut behind the bolt (see pic). Anymore suggestions would GREATLY APPRECIATED
The nut is pressed into the back tab/flange of the alternator. As matter of fact just did the oil filter housing gasket yesterday and the alternator is still sitting on the ground, so I can give you this picture (alternator is upside down from normal orientation). You can see the threaded insert. Either your bolt is stripped or the insert is loose and is spinning. If it is spinning it looks like the back side is a hex you can get a open end wrench on.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Time for an update... Unfortunately there isn't much of one.
From watching DIYs I understand the sleeve kinda gets pushed into the bolt housing. To get the sleeve pushed back out to the point where I can hold it with a ratchet from the back I have to tap the front of the bolt with a hammer. I know the bolt should sort of be loosely threaded in there before tapping but the whole point of my prob is that I can't unthread it lol.
I put a mirror behind the bolt to see what I'm working with and wtf :b: It almost looks like a hex bolt put on backwards with a circular type end I can't grab on to. MAJOR STUMPED

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
26,982 Posts
I hope you can fit vise grips or a pipe wrench on that circular thing ...get a friend to hold it while you try unscrewing from the front. Might be prior owner had stripped the bolt and used a longer bolt/nut. You're sure that that circular 'nut' is a nut? If it's brass, I wonder if it's the spacer that got displaced or something?

Good luck!

·
Registered
807 Posts
This cannot be the original alternator. Someone jury rigged it. It almost sounds like the nut/sleeve was installed backwards, but I did not think the spacing would allow you to do that. As others have said hopefully you can get a vice grip on it. Thinking out of the box could you get a finishing nail punch wedged between the sleeve and the alternator casing? The space on one side looks about right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts