BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
He
That is a lot of work for $75. You have a very good friend. It doesn't sound like you know if there were ever overheating issues with this car, but you do not want your buddy to do this much work and then you fail torque tightening. You should really pre-emptively do the Timeserts on the block. Additionally, with the head off you should pressure test it and check for flatness. Since you already have the cam's off that's a relatively cheap job to get done and is worth knowing what you're starting with. You also have access to cooling components you normally wouldn't get to, go ahead and replace it all right now.

And I guess I'll go ahead and be the negative Nancy here, but I don't think you really have to replace coils as PM. They're expensive and if you don't know they're bad then that's bad money (in my opinion) to put into the car. Just my $.02.
Hes taking care of everything with the head that you mentioned and hot tanking it.

Some of the plugs were clearly on their way out so I figured it’d be good to do all of them

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
1,956 Posts
That is a lot of work for $75. You have a very good friend. It doesn't sound like you know if there were ever overheating issues with this car, but you do not want your buddy to do this much work and then you fail torque tightening. You should really preemptively do the Timeserts on the block. Additionally, with the head off you should pressure test it and check for flatness. Since you already have the cam's off that's a relatively cheap job to get done and is worth knowing what you're starting with. You also have access to cooling components you normally wouldn't get to, go ahead and replace it all right now.

And I guess I'll go ahead and be the negative Nancy here, but I don't think you really have to replace coils as PM. They're expensive and if you don't know they're bad then that's bad money (in my opinion) to put into the car. Just my $.02.
+10 on the Timesert job.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts