BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
'a certain moderator'
36,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i parked my car about a week ago with the "parkway company" in philladelphia, on 8th and Arch, a couple blocks away from the convention center where the Philly Autoshow was happening. i left them my keys in case they had to move my car, since the lot was pretty full already.

so i get back and my RK3 is really scratched up, all along one side, looks as if someone with a ring on their right hand shifted the car a bunch of times. i'd only had the piece for maybe 3 weeks. i filed a claim, took pictures, everything, and i got sh!t in the mail today saying my claim was denied, and they were not liable for that damage

what can i do? its "only" a 80$ shiftknob that i had never put a scratch into, i am pissed and frustrated

thanks for any help

-brendan

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Sorry to hear Brendan

the best way to have handled this would have been to show damages to Parking co... write down their contact information.. call Police & file report..

If you didnt do this, unfourtanately will not be worth the aggrevation it will cause to "maybe" come up with a replacement.

I suggest trying to polish the scratches out somehow.

·
'a certain moderator'
36,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea, could have called the police, but it really is a small matter, not something i would want the agravation of dealing with cops over.

can the BBB help me out at all? (better business burough)

i have decided to call the company on Monday and tell them that this letter they sent me doesnt even include a statement saying why they are rejecting my claim, and threaten to report them to the BBB

:dunno: hope i can at least cut a deal and get some cash out of them

-brendan

·
Registered
915 Posts
BBB is useless... you can register a complaint but they cannot make the parking co do anything. Try to polish with Wenol metal polish. Its gentle enough for a Rolex and will most likley give you good results on the shift knob. I feel ya... a valet at the Ritz buffed up my Mtech front end @ a Xmas party:bawling: But I stayed on hotel mgmt. and they ended up paying for the repair...$180:)
Good luck

·
Registered
73 Posts
Here's a real different take on this, but I have a UUC knob that gets scratched up all the time. Aluminum is easy to scratch up.

Last weekend I chucked a 3/4" drill bit wrapped with duct tape into my JET drill press and then attached the knob to the bit. I used 400 grit and 1000 grit automotive sand paper on this 'vertical lathe', and it smoothed out really well. It looks like new. To finish, I added a little car wax (paste wax would probably work as well).

Just a thought. :dunno:

tom

·
'a certain moderator'
36,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thx for the advice, i am hoping to get the scratches out (even in the case that i do collect from the company) will be calling them monday and raising hell

-brendan

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I don't think it's worth all the time & hassle to get them to compensate you, given their initial stance it appears they will put up a fight & the low value of the shifter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts